• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

"How to" configure Replicated Exchange onto network

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> "How to" configure Replicated Exchange onto network Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"How to" configure Replicated Exchange onto n... - 16.Dec.2005 4:04:11 AM   
Ex72

Merry Christmas to all you Exchange gurus/techie out there!

I would like to know how I can configure our backup Exchange 5.5 (installed on W2k box) to work right away should the primary Exchange 5.5 (install on NT 4 box) dies on me.  I am new to working with Exchange but hey I got hire, so my boss and the previous IT dude must saw something in me.  I am very familiar working with Exchange 5.5 console but just haven’t had the opportunity to install one because they were already in place when I joined several of the companies I worked with in the past.

Anyways, the situation is we have a primary Exchange with PDC install on the same NT box (I know it’s not a good idea to put the 2 servers together).  The previous IT dude configured the Exchange to replicate with another Exchange 5.5 box on the network.  Since I started with the company a month ago, there have been numerous network issues and thus I have not had the time to read up on Exchange.  I am praying that the servers will live long enough before I can grasp all the knowledge disaster recovering on Exchange.

I would really appreciated if you can direct me to some good links so that I can read up on (hopefully it will be shortly and precise J) or provide me a brief summary of “how to” configure the backup Exchange server to work right away should the primary Exchange server go sour.  Extra info, we have a backup BDC and so I know how to promote that to be the PDC.   

Thank you,

ExchangeNewbie
Post #: 1
RE: "How to" configure Replicated Exchange on... - 16.Dec.2005 4:14:53 AM   
Ex72

Just so you guys know, this is a very small company and my boss does not see the point in upgrading the servers if they still work.  Maybe when I get my MCSE 2003, I will try to persuade him again sometime next year.  

(in reply to Ex72)
Post #: 2
RE: "How to" configure Replicated Exchange on... - 16.Dec.2005 12:05:21 PM   
zbnet

Exchange 5.5 doesn't really have the concept of a hot standby server - mailboxes live on one server only, and if you lose it you need to restore from backup tape.  (Exchange 2K3 has better options for 'dial tone' recovery...)

The definitive guide to 5.5 DR is http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/support/exdisrec.mspx - it isn't short, but it is definitive and accurate - required reading for ALL adminstrators of production Exchange.

(in reply to Ex72)
Post #: 3
RE: "How to" configure Replicated Exchange on... - 16.Dec.2005 7:40:12 PM   
Ex72

Thanks Zbnet.  Boy you're good!

< Message edited by ExchangeNewbie72 -- 17.Dec.2005 12:41:11 AM >

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> "How to" configure Replicated Exchange onto network Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter