• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

"MS Best Practice" for archiving mail?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> "MS Best Practice" for archiving mail? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"MS Best Practice" for archiving mail? - 21.Mar.2006 12:41:25 AM   
nealio

I have spent the last few hours on a search for "MS best practice" to have users archive mail once they hit their mailbox store limit.  I can't find anything that they endorse.  I realize that the most common ways are either to have the use store in a .pst or to use exmerge or third party software to manage their mailbox for them.  I am looking for the best way to do this.  We currently use archive.pst but have recently had some data loss and am revisiting this issue.

Our environment is a single server 2003 sp1/EXC 2003sp 1. 150-250 users.
Our users feel they need to keep their email indefinitely and are currently manually sorting into .pst files. The problem has arisen where some users thought they were archiving to a .pst on the network when in actuallity they were archiving to their local drive.

Anyone that has alink to a whitepaper on this, I would appreciate it.
I prefer not to use third party software, but am curious what is working for others out there.
Post #: 1
RE: "MS Best Practice" for archiving mail? - 28.Mar.2006 12:29:24 AM   
gpace

I don't think there is such a thing out there as a "Best Practices for Archiving". There is a couple of threads on this board about archiving solutions and tools. You might look at Microsoft's best practices for Exchange to determine if you need to start archiving. Chances are you do though. From a practical and managerial side, I can tell you that pst files are not the way to go once you grow beyond a workgroup size implementation. It completely breaks SIS and are notorious for corruption. You should also consider a managment and retention policy for your messages. Most companies don't relize that if they decide to keep email for ever if asked lawsuit, government, compliance, ect. that they must reproduce those emails in an acceptable time frame. Many companies are now paying fines for not being able to reproduce email that they are responsible for and should have.

There are several threads here about archiving to get you started

http://forums.msexchange.org/3rd_Party_Add-ons/forumid_6/tt.htm

(in reply to nealio)
Post #: 2
RE: "MS Best Practice" for archiving mail? - 25.May2006 3:36:11 PM   
cytogenadmin

We were in a similar situation with regards to archiving email (FDA requirements).  EMC makes a great product called EmailXtender Archive Edition.
It archives and compresses email automatically into a centralized store (in this case, an Iomega 400R NAS server).

(in reply to nealio)
Post #: 3
RE: "MS Best Practice" for archiving mail? - 25.May2006 4:14:11 PM   
gpace

EMC does make a good product I am in direct competition with them most of the time. Usually we win though. I would pay careful attention to the tools and proccesses that are avaialble to help you migrate all that mail from the PST files into the archive though.
Oh yeah I work with a product called Zantaz
www.zantaz.com

(in reply to cytogenadmin)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> "MS Best Practice" for archiving mail? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter