• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

\disasterrecovery switch question

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> \disasterrecovery switch question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
\disasterrecovery switch question - 16.Dec.2009 11:22:52 AM   
Floye

Hi everyone,
Recently I've been working on providing my company with a disaster recovery scenario for Exchange 2003 server using software called Replistore.
Replistror replicates all the data to a second exchange 2003 server that I will be able fail over to in case of...... :) That server must have exchange 2003 installed (as well as service packs) with disaster recovery switch. Here is a big question: after installation is finished none of the exchange services are there, is this normal? I'm sure I choose every available option.

Cheers,
Floye 
Post #: 1
RE: \disasterrecovery switch question - 20.Dec.2009 5:01:27 PM   
Floye

Here is more that may cause the whole situation. At the moment when I need to choose components when I try to choose a disaster recover mode for microsoft exchange messaging and collaborating services I'm getting an error:

the component "Microsoft Exchange and collaborating services" cannot be assigned the action "Disaster recovery" because:
-a server object for this server must exist in active directory in order to recover this server.

What exactly does it mean? All I'm trying to do is to have standby member server  with Exchange 2003 installed in disaster recovery mode.

Please any advice, anybody?

Floye

(in reply to Floye)
Post #: 2
RE: \disasterrecovery switch question - 20.Dec.2009 8:57:50 PM   
uemurad

Did you make the server a member of your Domain before installing Exchange? Is the new Exchange server a member of your Exchange Organization? It sounds like perhaps it isn't.

Also, with the replcation/failover software packages, once everything is configured the failover server typically has all the Exchange services offline until it becomes the active server.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Floye)
Post #: 3
RE: \disasterrecovery switch question - 21.Dec.2009 10:41:12 AM   
Floye

Uemurad,

First I joined domain and then I tryed installing Exchange 2003 in disasterrecovery mode.

>> Is the new Exchange server a member of your Exchange Organization? It sounds like perhaps it isn't.
How do I check it out? Software that I'm using (replistor) requires me to install the second (standby) server in a disasterrecovery mode but......like I stated I can not install messaging and collaboration services so .....I can not finish installing.
Is it possible to run setup in disaterrecovery mode and be able under "options" to choose messaging and collaboration services?

Cheers
Floye

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 4
RE: \disasterrecovery switch question - 21.Dec.2009 12:51:58 PM   
uemurad

I'm not familiar with that software solution or methodology. I believe you'll need to speak to them (Replistore) to resolve your issue.

The software solutions I am familiar with install in a different manner. You install a new Exchange server and while offline configure the same Storage Groups and Mailbox Stores. When you install the 3rd-party software, it sets up a replication mechanism to synchronize the data. If failover is necessary (either via an automatic or manual method), it does all the backend tasks needed to make the standby server look to everything else to be the original server.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to Floye)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> \disasterrecovery switch question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter