• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

*Almost* complete public folder replication

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> *Almost* complete public folder replication Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
*Almost* complete public folder replication - 12.Oct.2004 9:45:00 PM   
bunkzilla

I've got two Exchange 2k3 servers hosting public folder stores for over six months now. All folders are replicated between both servers. The problem is that one of the servers has less items than the other in a handful of folders. The status tab on the first server for a particular folder shows just over 3800 items. The same folder on the second server has just over 3200 items. As more items are created on the first server, I can see those items replicate over to the second server, but the difference in items between the servers remains the same.

I've followed the directions in kb842273 to track this problem, but since it would appear replication is currently working for new items, I'm not getting any leads. If I find an item that hasn't replicated over (from before I started tracking the problem), I can make a minor change to it, and within the normal replication cycle that item appears on the second server. I've created a new folder underneath one of the problematic folders to force backfill, but that didn't help. I even removed the second server from public folder replication, waited a week, and then readded it just before last weekend, and I ended up with just about the same number of items on each server as before.

At this point I'm convinced something is going on with the messages themselves, but I'm not sure how to further proceed. I haven't yet caught any new items (created after I enabled all the extra logging) that haven't replicated over successfully. I can find quite a few items (there's just over 600 of them) that haven't replicated over.

This is a win2k3/ex2k3 environment in native mode for both Active Directory and Exchange. I believe this was an upgrade from Ex5.5 (but that was before I was hired on here). All the Exchange servers are in the same administrative group in the same routing group in the same domain. The two Exchange servers are in different AD Sites. There haven't been any issues with mail delivery, and there are no incriminating event log errors/warnings on either server.

Suggestions anyone?
Post #: 1
RE: *Almost* complete public folder replication - 18.Oct.2004 9:19:00 PM   
bunkzilla

Here's an update for everybody so they know what happened. After spending two days getting to know Microsoft support, we discovered that it was Antigen 7.5's keyword filtering on the receiving server that was tripping up replication. For some reason the profanity filter was lighting up on the word "ass" in some of the replication messages. Disabling the keyword filtering allowed the folders to completely sync up over five hundred messages in just 20 minutes.

Sybari doesn't have an answer yet. We've upgraded to Antigen 8.0 and applied a special dll that'll allow them to sift through the messages to find what exactly tripped up the profanity filter.

(in reply to bunkzilla)
Post #: 2
RE: *Almost* complete public folder replication - 25.Oct.2004 8:44:00 PM   
kochhar_rahul

You sure have done a good work here. Thanks for sharing this valuable info.

Rahul

(in reply to bunkzilla)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> *Almost* complete public folder replication Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter