• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

5.5 with PDC to Exch 2003

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> 5.5 with PDC to Exch 2003 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5.5 with PDC to Exch 2003 - 26.Dec.2003 4:10:00 PM   
koji

Happy Holidays!
I have the following situation:
I currently have an NT4.0 Server as a PDC and would like to migrate to Exchange 2003 and Wsrv2003.

Our current config:
1 NT4.0 Srv with exchange 5.5(PDC)
1 NT4.0 Srv(BDC) with a lot of legacy applications(cannot upgrade)

We do have more powerful servers
1 for a new domain controller
1 for exchange 2003

We cannot:
Switch to native mode(the BDC has a lot of old applications)

As I was reading both migration upgrade(Exchange 2003 and Server 2003) White papers I thought that an in-place upgrade could be done(upgrade to srv 2003 and then to exchange 2003).

I am currently setting up a test environment based on MS Virtual PC 2004 platform. I do have knowledge of Exmerge which is one of ways that I could upgrade and migrate.

Is there another, simpler way?

Thanks in advance,
Koji
Post #: 1
RE: 5.5 with PDC to Exch 2003 - 26.Dec.2003 4:47:00 PM   
rcrawford@scci.com

What I have done for this is to bring in a new server staged to NT 4.0 and joined the domain as a BDC, once this was all done I upgraded it to the PDC of the domain. Once this was done I upgraded that Server to 2003 once I had this like I wanted it for DNS and the proper settings I then installed Exchange 2003 on this server and by using the Tools provided with the Exchange 2003 and following the list of things to do in setup joined the Exchange 2003 Server to the Exchange 5.5 server and moved mailboxes using Active Directory and Exchange Tasks.Then moved Public Folders by a white paer they have out for downing the last exchange 5.5 Server. I will see if I can find those links but this has worked good for me with the Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migrations.

Roger Crawford
HTS

(in reply to koji)
Post #: 2
RE: 5.5 with PDC to Exch 2003 - 26.Dec.2003 7:43:00 PM   
koji

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I was wondering if the new hardware(Dell Server) does in fact have drivers for NT4.0. I would not prefer to fiddle with a driver issue at this point. Anyway I can't replicate and NT4 box because of the driver issue on the test environment AFAIK. I'm still trying to set up the test environment via VPN and drop by the office a few times to change the CD's. I still have until Monday to test everything and plan things carefully. Thanks for your suggestion. Any other ideas?

Koji

(in reply to koji)
Post #: 3
RE: 5.5 with PDC to Exch 2003 - 27.Dec.2003 9:31:00 PM   
rcrawford@scci.com

Well I have also used the 2003 Exmerge with no problems also but I usually try to do the NT 4 and then upgrade track if I can. I mainly deal with Compaq Server or should I say HP now but they do have the drivers for NT 4 most of the time just depends on the seever.

(in reply to koji)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> 5.5 with PDC to Exch 2003 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter