• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

A single user doesn't get mail from another

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> A single user doesn't get mail from another Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A single user doesn't get mail from another - 8.Jan.2004 9:07:00 PM   
dba-one

Greetings.

I've got a situation. Of all our Exchange user only one can't seem to send email to the other. Here is the basic example: She sends him email. He responds but she never gets it. he has turned on the feature that tells him when the message was delivered. He gets that confirmation but the email never shows up in her in box. I can't find anything out of place in administration. Any suggestions?
Post #: 1
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 9.Jan.2004 9:52:00 AM   
zbnet

Has she got any rules or filters that are preventing her from seeing messages from him?

You could use message tracking to confirm that the message has been delivered to her.

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 2
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 9.Jan.2004 4:26:00 PM   
dba-one

I've checked everything I can find. There seem to be no "blocks of any kind. This is actually her husband and they co-own the company. I'm sure she wouldn't block his mail! I really need help!

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 3
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 9.Jan.2004 5:24:00 PM   
ismajor

So he gets a delivery receipt, but she doesn't show the message in her inbox. As ZBNET stated:

"Has she got any rules or filters that are preventing her from seeing messages from him?

You could use message tracking to confirm that the message has been delivered to her.

In Exchange Admin go to Tools>track message and verify that his message is received by her server. It's very simple and straighforward. Check technet if you have trouble.

Is it a particular message or all messages that do not appear from him to her? If it is a particular message then check your content filtering such as scanmail. We filter out sex terms, certain zips, dangerous file extensions etc.

In Outlook 2K, go to Tools>Rules Wizard and see if she created any Rules that may re-direct his e-mail to say personal folders or somewhere else.

Also, is this a single corporate desktop to single corporate desktop user scenario or does the wife also have a laptop? Do they direct connect to their e-mail from home whereby she may have sucked the message to the inbox on the home PC or Laptop?

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 4
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 9.Jan.2004 5:54:00 PM   
dba-one

It's only from that one user to her. She gets all other email without a problem. They do travel so sometimes I have to make adjustments to their accounts. From what I can tell I put everything back. I'll try you instructions and report back.

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 5
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 9.Jan.2004 5:58:00 PM   
dba-one

I did the message tracking, it reported nothing found. I guess this means that the problem is on his end? Some specific exchange setting?

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 6
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 9.Jan.2004 8:25:00 PM   
dba-one

Here is something else I found. That message tracking thing ca't be trusted. I've sent the recipient in question two emails today. when I track it nothing turns up.

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 7
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 9.Jan.2004 9:14:00 PM   
ismajor

I'm sorry. I've worked in one environment for so long I forget that there is a whole world out there that doesn't use our standard exchange build. [Embarrassed]

Message tracking can be trusted [Embarrassed] , but more important it has to be enabled.

In Exchange admin go to the config container and MTA Site Config properties and check enable messaging tracking.

You can highlight the server in exchange admin and double-click the system attendant icon in the right pane. Here is where you set tracking for how many days.

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 8
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 12.Jan.2004 5:49:00 PM   
dba-one

I did try this but tracking doesn't find anything. Perhaps I need to bounce the Exchange service(s)? Here is the test I did: I sent email from his computer to hers. I have look back set to 0 and it is using today's date in the search. Did I follow your instructions properly?

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 9
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 13.Jan.2004 8:16:00 PM   
dba-one

Any other suggestions?

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 10
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 13.Jan.2004 8:22:00 PM   
dba-one

I also restarted the realted exchange services. After doing so I selected the from and to users from the message tracking menu. It shows nothing. I even did a test where he sends me mail. I tracked that message and it finds nothing. This thing seems to only fine "internet" based email? So far it's proving to be absolutley useless!

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 11
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 13.Jan.2004 8:59:00 PM   
ismajor

Sounds like your doing it correctly. I usually select the user's mailbox server and then track. It tracks internal and external messages, but seems to msiss messages sent via distribution list ):

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 12
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 13.Jan.2004 9:02:00 PM   
Velocat

Hi dba-one,

If you're only seeing Internet Mail being tracked, I suggest reviewing ismajor's suggestion:

"In Exchange admin go to the config container and MTA Site Config properties and check enable messaging tracking."

Restart the MTA on all servers.

Can you provide some details about "They do travel so sometimes I have to make adjustments to their accounts. From what I can tell I put everything back."

Also, if you have Outlook Web Access, I suggest having husband log out of his client, then have wife send him email and then have him check his email via OWA (or vice versa). If mail makes it to mailbox, then it's a client issue.

Good Luck.

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 13
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 13.Jan.2004 11:01:00 PM   
dba-one

When they travel. I usually point her email to go to his. He is usually the one logging on so this just makes sense to me. All that works OK when needed. They claim that since I put it back this has been going on.

I don't have that Outlook web app running. Also, I followed the instructions about the MTA and restarted the servers. When I do the track message it just looks like it is tracking messages outside of our site (like yahoo, msn) When I try to trace any mails i send this thing just doesn't find them.

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 14
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 13.Jan.2004 11:39:00 PM   
Velocat

What steps do you take to point her email at his mailbox? Maybe we can get some clues there.

Thanks.

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 15
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 14.Jan.2004 3:05:00 PM   
dba-one

If I recall correctly I go to delivery options in the users attributes. In there I put his address. Currently it is null.

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 16
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 14.Jan.2004 5:24:00 PM   
Velocat

Ok, what do you see now when you open the mailbox properties

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 17
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 14.Jan.2004 5:31:00 PM   
Velocat

Ok, open the mailbox properties, Delivery Options tab.

Which radio button is currently chosen down below:

None, or is there anything in the field below?

Also, you may try forcing a directory update by going to:

Org Name
Site Name
Configuration
Servers
Your Server

Double Click Directory Service
Select Update this directory from within this site:
Then choose Refresh all items in the directory

Finally, if that doesn't resovle the issue, you may wish to restart the Microsoft Exchange Directory Service, or reboot.

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 18
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 14.Jan.2004 8:45:00 PM   
dba-one

None is selected

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 19
RE: A single user doesn't get mail from another - 15.Jan.2004 10:48:00 AM   
zbnet

You enable message tracking on the IS seperately to the MTAs - it's on the Information Store Site Configuration object.

(in reply to dba-one)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> A single user doesn't get mail from another Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter