• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

A unique domain name for email addresses and a unique GAL for multiple organizations

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> A unique domain name for email addresses and a unique GAL for multiple organizations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A unique domain name for email addresses and a unique G... - 9.Aug.2011 12:36:54 AM   
kiani_b

Hi,

I am working for a company with multiple plants (6 plants) which one of them is HQ. Each of these plants has its own windows 2003 AD installed. We are planning to install an exchange 2010 in each of these forests. There are a number of major requirements that must be met:

1- Company insists on using a unique single domain name for email addresses of the users in all 6 plants.

2- Users in all 6 plants need to have access to a unique GAL.

Plus I am confused how to implement a single mail relay for all of these organizations.

I will be appreciated if anybody help me with giving some idea how to implement this scenario.

Thanks in advance
Bijan

< Message edited by kiani_b -- 9.Aug.2011 3:58:48 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 9.Aug.2011 9:19:41 AM   
travis.sheldon

It really doesn't sound that complicated...

What do you mean by "Users in all 6 plants need to have access to a unique GAL" What do you define as unique? Each plant has their own GAL or they all share a central GAL?

The mail relay is also quite simple...

Is the HQ plant going to act as the central / control for all the forests? IE, do you want to route all mail through the HQ server(s) or each site routes out their own mail?

(in reply to kiani_b)
Post #: 2
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 9.Aug.2011 10:00:11 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Six foests, one SMTP address space and one GAL.
Right here, right now you are going to employ an external consultancy to get that done for you. There are quite a few packages on the market to get that done for you.
The Exchange is the "easy" part. You have every site with a dummy email address space to send between each other with the right address presented to the outside world. Yeah, the easy part !!

The challenging part is getting six forests syncing properly with each other.

Whereabouts are you? If you're in the US Edgile and eNsync are two orgs you really need to consider.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to kiani_b)
Post #: 3
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 9.Aug.2011 12:37:07 PM   
kiani_b

Thank you travis.sheldon also thank you mark for your advice,

Users - in all plants - exactly need to share a central GAL and have one SMTP address space. Also I want to route all mails through the HQ server(s). The AD forests are completely independent from each other. There is only a 2-way trust between each plant AD forest and HQ AD forest.

< Message edited by kiani_b -- 9.Aug.2011 12:39:38 PM >

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 4
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 9.Aug.2011 12:50:13 PM   
mark@mvps.org

http://www.quest.com/collaboration-services/ would maybe a good place to start if you want to try this yourself. What might be useful as well as the GAL sync is also the free/busy availability. Lots of people find that pretty useful, maybe you too?

The routing through a central location is the easiest part. All of the remote systems get a Send Connector and you specify the "smarthost" to send through the IP of the central server.

The Quest solution will help you have those dummy secondary address spaces.

List Moderator

(in reply to kiani_b)
Post #: 5
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 9.Aug.2011 5:06:14 PM   
kiani_b

Is it permanent to use a third-party application for the mentioned purposes? I mean doesn't exchange 2010 have the capabilities to address the mentioned needs by itself and without any third-party?

Best regards
Bijan

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 6
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 9.Aug.2011 5:31:06 PM   
mark@mvps.org

The address list thing has absolutely nothing to do with Exchange. Way back in the day the Exchange 5.5 directory was in dir.edb but ever since Exchange 2000 the source has been Active Directory. All replication has to between Active Directories and Microsoft sell a solution to do this so yes, you can do this without "3rd party" solutions but you do have to have A solution. Microsoft have one (complex) and other people have one (somewhat easier).

Once things get themselves into Active Directory they are exposed in Exchange.

Exchange was specifically made to be the messaging & calendaring solution. It is not a collaboration solution (SharePoint) and is not a directory synchronization solution.

List Moderator

(in reply to kiani_b)
Post #: 7
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 10.Aug.2011 1:42:47 AM   
kiani_b

Would you please tell me more about microsoft solution?

Thank you

Post #: 8
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 10.Aug.2011 8:41:21 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Used to be a free part of MIIS. Now wrapped up inside FIM.
http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/identitymanager/en/us/overview.aspx
Take a look at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998597.aspx for an article on it.

List Moderator

(in reply to kiani_b)
Post #: 9
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 12.Aug.2011 7:20:52 AM   
kiani_b

Thank you very much Mark for your advices,

As you said, FIM and also ILM are complicated and give me much more features that I do not really need. I used an application named GALSYNC (a Germany made app) and it solve the problem of GAL. With this application I created the contacts of all users of all plants in HQ exchange organization and configure external address as primary and dummy internal address as secondary addresses for these contacts so messages that are coming to HQ exchange from internet, simply are routed to their destination through their corresponding connector.

No the only problem is that I don't know how configure the HQ exchange to route messages to internet by external domain name and not dummy internal domain name?

Best regards
Bijan

Post #: 10
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 14.Aug.2011 10:02:00 PM   
seniyajw

I guess the monkeys highly qualified who were sent to tackle the problem really know what they do!

I'm glad to hear that you realize it!

Tera Gold Tera Items

(in reply to kiani_b)
Post #: 11
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 17.Aug.2011 6:32:57 AM   
kiani_b

Well I guess you would better think deeply and well, before sending post to people who you do not know!

< Message edited by kiani_b -- 17.Aug.2011 6:40:52 AM >

(in reply to seniyajw)
Post #: 12
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 18.Aug.2011 1:55:53 AM   
hotsalebuy

The address list thing has absolutely nothing to do with Exchange.

(in reply to kiani_b)
Post #: 13
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 18.Aug.2011 2:04:05 AM   
kiani_b

Hi,

Mark I have all the issues solved, except 2 thing: Messages which are sent to internet from within 1 of the sites through HQ site (as mail relay) do not reaches the destination and instead HQ exchange send an undelivery  notification with the following error message:

"you do not have permission to send to this recipient SMTP:550 5.7.1 unable to relay."
and also I do not know how to make sure the messages are sent by their external addresses and not their dummy internal addresses.
Would you please help me with these errors?

Best regards
Bijan

< Message edited by kiani_b -- 18.Aug.2011 2:31:34 AM >

Post #: 14
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 18.Aug.2011 3:15:29 AM   
kiani_b

Thank you,

It can be fixed either by "GALSync" app or galsync feature of FIM. I have tested both of them. Now I have 2 other issues which I have mentioned them in previous post to Mark.

Reagrds
Bijan

(in reply to hotsalebuy)
Post #: 15
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 18.Aug.2011 9:34:20 AM   
travis.sheldon

I believe this will help you out with the internal name showing up in the headers..at least thats what Im understanding your problem as

http://exchange.si/archive/2008/10/27/pow-4-send-connector-external-fqdn-in-helo-ehlo-banner.aspx

(in reply to kiani_b)
Post #: 16
RE: A unique domain name for email addresses and a uniq... - 23.Aug.2011 12:07:11 AM   
Imogen123

Thank you very much for your advice Mark,

As you say, FIM and ILM also complicated and give me many more features that I do not really need. I used a program called GALSync (Germany made the app) and it solves the problem with the GAL. With this application, I have contacts to all users of all plants in HQ exchange organization and configure the external address as a dummy internal addresses primary and secondary addresses as contacts for these so that messages coming in HQ currency of the Internet is simply routed to their destination with their corresponding locations.

It is not the only problem is that I do not know how to configure Exchange to route messages to the headquarters of the external Internet domain name and not a doll in a domain name?

Tomorrow is another day.
Tera Online
Tera Gold
Buy Tera Gold

(in reply to travis.sheldon)
Post #: 17

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> A unique domain name for email addresses and a unique GAL for multiple organizations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter