• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Access OWA Externally

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> Access OWA Externally Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Access OWA Externally - 22.Dec.2003 6:40:00 PM   
Biggsmatt

I'm a little new at this, so bear with me. My company has Exchange 2000 installed and everything is working great. We want to setup OWA so that people can access their e-mail from the web. Now, I know OWA is installed by default with E2K, and we can access it just fine internally at http://servername/exchange but I have no clue how to set it up so that it points to a url like http://mail.company.com.

We already have a seperate IIS server and our firewall is set to forward all requests on port 80 to that machine. So I'm kind of clueless as to how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[ December 22, 2003, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Biggsmatt ]
Post #: 1
RE: Access OWA Externally - 25.Dec.2003 12:14:00 AM   
wiscy

When you registered your domain, company.com you listed 2 DNS servers like ns1.nameserver.com. And those servers control the zone information for the domain. So create a DNS entry there that maps "mail" or "owa" or whatever you choose to the public IP (WAN IP) of the firewall. And as you said when the requests come in to the firewall they get passed off to the IIS box that handles OWA.

Then externally you'd access OWA using:
http://owa.company.com/exchange

(in reply to Biggsmatt)
Post #: 2
RE: Access OWA Externally - 27.Dec.2003 3:13:00 AM   
Biggsmatt

Thanks, I think all of the DNS requirements are already in place, but I think the firewall points to our main IIS server, not the Exchange box running IIS as well. I don't know much about IIS, so how would I tell the main box that the firewall is pointing to, to send all requests for mail.company.com/exchange to the exchange server? Thanks again in advance.

(in reply to Biggsmatt)
Post #: 3
RE: Access OWA Externally - 27.Dec.2003 7:03:00 AM   
wiscy

Microsoft would love for you to buy another server license to install OWA on the front-end IIS machine. Oh, and for Exch 2000 setting up the front end/back end (FE/BE) architecture required the Enterprise license.

And actually for security, the OWA should be installed on that front-end IIS machine. So if you already have a FE/BE architecture then just move your OWA onto the front-end IIS box.

If you don't use the Exchange FE/BE then you could open up port 80 (and hopefully 443 for SSL and greater security) on your firewall to your OWA machine. And change your DNS record for mail or owa to map to the new IP.

Note: if your network uses private IPs then you'll need a spare public IP address assigned by your ISP and a firewall that can handle one-to-one NAT. And within the firewall you'd NAT the public IP to the private IP of the OWA box.

(in reply to Biggsmatt)
Post #: 4
RE: Access OWA Externally - 29.Dec.2003 3:26:00 PM   
Biggsmatt

Is there a way to do it without using Front End and Back End Server? I'd like to limit the places I install Exchange too. Plus our IIS server isn't the most recent piece of hardware and we may replace it in the somewhat near future and I'd hate to have to worry about moving the Exchange components off of it. Can I simply setup some kind of forwarding mechanism on my IIS server to forward all OWA requests at mail.company.com/exchange to the Exchange box? Thanks in advance.

(in reply to Biggsmatt)
Post #: 5
RE: Access OWA Externally - 29.Dec.2003 11:47:00 PM   
wiscy

The last 2 paragraphs of my previous post were meant as a workaround to using FE/BE. I post them again below.

I've used this solution before, but it's hard to make an exact recommendation without knowing your network architecture -- like firewall capabilities, is NAT'ing used, do you have an extra public IP? etc. _____________________________________

If you don't use the Exchange FE/BE then you could open up port 80 (and hopefully 443 for SSL and greater security) on your firewall to your OWA machine. And change your DNS record for mail or owa to map to the new IP.

Note: if your network uses private IPs then you'll need a spare public IP address assigned by your ISP and a firewall that can handle one-to-one NAT. And within the firewall you'd NAT the public IP to the private IP of the OWA box.

(in reply to Biggsmatt)
Post #: 6
RE: Access OWA Externally - 30.Dec.2003 3:36:00 PM   
Biggsmatt

I think thats sort of what I did, because I got it working, albeit only via SSL, which is a good thing. I installed a digital certificate on the exchange box in IIS and told our firewall to forward any HTTPS request to the IP of the exchange server. So it is working now. We may eventually have to use a FE/BE though, because we have another exchange server at the moment, 5.5, that we're planning on upgrading. Thanks for the help though!

(in reply to Biggsmatt)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> Access OWA Externally Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter