• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace? - 7.Nov.2011 8:11:11 AM   
DavidUlrich

Hello All ! Need some assistance/recommendation with design and a nudge in the right direction on setup of an Active/Active Site preferably as we are building a second DC and have decided to move our lync & exchange environment to it (at first it was planned as back up but the decision has been made to do an Active / Active Site .. also let me note we are 100% vm .. server are readily available ..

Current DC Environment:(mid west)
mx mail.xxx.com >> firewall>>iron port >> exchange 2010sp1 All roles w/@750 objects and growing
Single internal site domain xxxx.lan
(let me know if more info needed)

Would like to keep active single role server in current DC but move probably 50% of mailboxes to our new DC on the east coast.

we just upgraded to an EA that includes the full MS Forefront suite so i was planning on taking full advantage of this and using MS Forefront / TMG with exchange edge, etc .. Plan on using single server roles on single servers .. 1 Client Access, 1 UM , 1 Mailbox, 1 Hub Transport, Etc. In the new DC ..

My main hang up is the MXrecords, DNS routing etc in an Active / Active , how to use the TMG to the fullest if possible ...

Thanks for any assistance and if more info needed please let me know ..
dave
Post #: 1
RE: Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace? - 7.Nov.2011 8:39:00 AM   
ermanishchawla

Few suggestions for you

Regarding MX records
1. Create two MX records in your DNS server for your domain with equal preference and choose two different ISP so that IP segments belongs to different ASN. MX1=> EdgeServer of Site A and MX2==> EdgeServer of Site B
2. Place a Global Catalog in each site and ensure that two sites are connected to each other by high speed link prefferably with redundant link as well
3. Create a DAG between exchange mailbox servers for high availability of the database and try to build a database as follows
users in site A: Mailbox Database Mounted in Site A only and Passive Copy in Site B
Users in Site B: Mailbox Database Mounted in Site B and Passive Copy in Site A

4) Since you are planning to build each role on separate hardware in new DC and if you dont have CAS servers separately in old DC you should split the roles here so that you can use DAG and CAS array

< Message edited by ermanishchawla -- 7.Nov.2011 8:40:08 AM >

(in reply to DavidUlrich)
Post #: 2
RE: Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace? - 7.Nov.2011 8:49:44 AM   
DavidUlrich

Thanks for the reply , I guess i was over complicating it in my head ..

for clarification on the MX records.. when u say DNS server you mean external (xxx.com ) or on the internal
right now my mx record on the external DNS is mailmx.company.com that point to the Firewall>iron port in the current DC ..
So 2 MX record on the outside > MAIL_MIAMIMX.company.com ? & the current ?
?
DO have redundant separate internet at both sites (with cisco firewalls if that matters)_ Sites are connect via WAN (MPLS)
I guess i am really hung up on the DNS piece and making sure the mail gets to the right place ..
Do have GC's in each DataCenter

forgot to note that am planning on a DAG between the 2 so will break up some of the rolls on the current exchange server ..

(in reply to ermanishchawla)
Post #: 3
RE: Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace? - 7.Nov.2011 9:47:05 AM   
ermanishchawla

Thanks for the reply , I guess i was over complicating it in my head ..

for clarification on the MX records.. when u say DNS server you mean external (xxx.com ) or on the internal

Here I mean External DNS server for example if your domain name is example.com then its recommended to have two MX record for domain and make them point to two different edge servers

right now my mx record on the external DNS is mailmx.company.com that point to the Firewall>iron port in the current DC ..
So 2 MX record on the outside > MAIL_MIAMIMX.company.com ? & the current ?
?
Concept is simple DNS uses round robin mechanism so when external email server queries your DNS servers for mx record they will return in fashion MX1 and MX2 and on second request as MX2 and MX1 provided they have same preference. Now in this case suppose one of the link is down External Email Server unable to establish a session to your edge server and hence try for second one automatically. Now if you have two edge servers in two sites its better Edge1==> Link 1 and Edge2==>Link2 so that in event of link failure mails still can get delivered 

DO have redundant separate internet at both sites (with cisco firewalls if that matters)_ Sites are connect via WAN (MPLS)

If you do have redundant links at both ends then it is very good then do one thing assign two IP to each mx record ie
Now you will have mx1 pointing to Site A with IP1 and IP2
and MX2 will point to Site B with IP1 and IP2 and you can choose other ways also to load balance at this level

I guess i am really hung up on the DNS piece and making sure the mail gets to the right place ..
Dont worry DNS is not as messy as you think its fairly simple

Do have GC's in each DataCenter
You should keep because exchange are very GC intensive ie they query GC for like everything if they need to query GC using WAN Link that access will be very slow and hence better keep a GC in each site

forgot to note that am planning on a DAG between the 2 so will break up some of the rolls on the current exchange server ..

Then Go ahead with DAG implementation. Read about DAG properly before implementing and understand the pitfalls

Post #: 4
RE: Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace? - 7.Nov.2011 10:03:52 AM   
DavidUlrich

and than what is the effect on Outlook Anyhwere, active sync etc ..

Post #: 5
RE: Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace? - 7.Nov.2011 10:09:20 AM   
ermanishchawla

No effect !! DAG has no effect on Active sync etc this is job of CAS server and DAG is associated with Mailbox Servers

Post #: 6
RE: Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace? - 7.Nov.2011 10:11:33 AM   
ermanishchawla

For DAG related designs refer
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979781.aspx

Post #: 7
RE: Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace? - 8.Nov.2011 8:33:47 AM   
DavidUlrich

So i still think i am over complicating this in my head ..just want to be clear on a few things as i start to build ..

1)looking at the link above this seems to fit what i am thinking
Two Four-Member DAGs in Two Datacenter/Active Directory Sites

We have 1 active directory site (company.lan) external is company.com
client access at current DC is mail.company.com ETC

In my new DC ill add mail.miami.company.com
I can have users split between DCs the users in mail.miami would just have to point there
ex for web accès they would go to mail.miami.company.com not mail.company.com

there is no way to make this more seamless? and if one of the DCs go down it would be a manual switch for client access?

also still confused on the MX record ..
Right now MX record @ is mailmx.company.com i assume i would add a second mailmx.miami.company.com ?
and a second A Record mail.miami.compant.com ?

Thanks in advance for reply's sorry if i sound like i am over thinking this ..

Post #: 8
RE: Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace? - 8.Nov.2011 10:00:31 AM   
ermanishchawla

Lets make things simple for you regarding MX

Step 1: Create two MX record in your public DNS server for example if your company name is example.com add two mx records

mx1.example.com preference 10
mx2.example.com preference 10

mx1.example.com ==> Point to one Public IP from ISP1 and second Public IP from ISP2 of Site A 
mx2.example.com ==> Point to one Public IP from ISP1 and second Public IP from ISP2 of Site B

Step 2:
Place Edge Server in each Site
Lets Call Edge server in Site A as Edge-A and Site B as Edge-B

mx1.example.com should be NATed to EDGE-A and mx2.example.com NATed to Edge-B

Now since your public domain is different from your active directory domain. Use feature of Address Rewriting to rewrite from address of your email sent to outside @ Edge servers

Post #: 9
RE: Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace? - 16.Nov.2011 11:28:32 AM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidUlrich

So i still think i am over complicating this in my head ..just want to be clear on a few things as i start to build ..

I think it would be beneficial for your understanding of designing site resillience in Exchange 2010 to view a couple of Microsoft TechEd presentations. Start with this: Real-World Site Resilience Design in Microsoft Exchange Server 2010

A lot of topics get's a lot clearer after viewing some of these TechEd sessions a couple of times. It's woth investing some time into this to get both the Site Resillience objectives you're after and the HA/SR behaviour you seek.

Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Active/Active 2010 SP1 Single NameSpace? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter