• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ActiveSync phone issues

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> ActiveSync phone issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ActiveSync phone issues - 9.Jun.2011 2:07:13 PM   
BrianRoden

For the past several months, we have been having issues with our mobile phone users occasionally not being able to send or receive mail. My Samsung Captivate (Android 2.2) will show a little yellow message "could not connect to server" when it tries to sync. If I log on to our CAS/hub transport Exchange 2007 server and run a Test-ActiveSyncConnectivity command in the EMS, I get an error that it can't communicate with the mailbox server. Looking in the event log, I find event 1022 with the following:

The connection between the Client Access server and Mailbox server "lei-exchg1.leisurearts.net" failed. If this event is logged infrequently or only during scheduled downtime for a Mailbox server, no user action is required. If this event occurs repeatedly, check network connectivity using PING or PingPath. Also, check connectivity using the Test-ActiveSyncConnectivity cmdlet. More information:

Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionFailedTransientException: Event Manager was not created. ---> Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionNetworkError: MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make admin interface connection to server. (hr=0x80040115, ec=-2147221227)
Diagnostic context:
Lid: 15000 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: prm[1]: Pointer val: 0x0000000000000000
Lid: 15000 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: prm[2]: Pointer val: 0x6F070F0800000000
Lid: 16280 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: ComputerName: n/a
Lid: 8600 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: ProcessID: 2360
Lid: 12696 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Generation Time: 2011-06-09 03:40:57:758
Lid: 10648 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Generating component: 8
Lid: 14744 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Status: 10061
Lid: 9624 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Detection location: 318
Lid: 13720 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: Flags: 0
Lid: 11672 dwParam: 0x6BA Msg: EEInfo: NumberOfParameters: 0
Lid: 24060 StoreEc: 0x80040115
Lid: 23746
Lid: 31938 StoreEc: 0x80040115
Lid: 19650
Lid: 27842 StoreEc: 0x80040115
Lid: 20866
Lid: 29058 StoreEc: 0x80040115
at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionHelper.ThrowIfError(String message, Int32 hresult, Int32 ec, DiagnosticContext diagCtx)
at Microsoft.Mapi.ExRpcAdmin.Create(String server, String user, String domain, String password)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.EventPump..ctor(EventPumpManager eventPumpManager, String server, Guid mdbGuid)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.EventPump..ctor(EventPumpManager eventPumpManager, String server, Guid mdbGuid)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.EventPumpManager.GetEventPump(StoreSession session)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.EventPumpManager.RegisterEventSink(StoreSession session, EventSink eventSink)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.EventSink.InternalCreateEventSink[T](StoreSession session, EventWatermark watermark, ConstructSinkDelegate`1 constructEventSinkDelegate)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.EventSubscription.InternalCreate(StoreSession session, EventCondition condition, IEventHandler eventHandler, EventWatermark watermark)
at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.PingCommand.CreateSubscriptions()
at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.PingCommand.Execute()
at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Command.WorkerThread()

Rebooting the hub transport server, and giving all the service 5 minutes or so to come up, seems to put everything back to normal.

Sometimes the system will go for days without having this problem, sometimes I'll have to reboot the hub transport server three times in one day.But one thing is almost constant: this almost NEVER happens during business hours, but happens frequently at night and on weekends. At first I thought our backup jobs might be affecting network communication, but we're on a Gbit switch, and I've even checked to see what jobs were running at the time of the errors, and sometimes they happen in the early evening before backups even start running.

Both Exchange 2007 servers are on SP3 with the latest rollup that came out two weeks ago.
Post #: 1
RE: ActiveSync phone issues - 17.Jun.2011 6:40:22 PM   
pjhutch

It is probably due to new bugs in Google's Android OS and ActiveSync policies with some devices. See these forum articles:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11629
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11177
http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/7096-exchange-activesync-htc-hero.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/6732-how-getting-your-droid-sync-exchange-2003-2007-a.html

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator
University of Huddersfield

(in reply to BrianRoden)
Post #: 2
RE: ActiveSync phone issues - 20.Jun.2011 9:46:46 AM   
BrianRoden

Thanks for the links, but all of those seem to deal with initial connection to Exchange server on various Android devices/versions. We have no trouble getting our devices connected. We're having issues with ActiveSync flaking out on us. Remotely logging in to the Exchange client access server that hosts OWA and ActiveSync and running a test-ActiveSyncConnectivity in the Exchange management shell confirms that the OWA server can't talke to the mailbox server via ActiveSync (though web-based OWA is fine). Rebooting the Exchange client access server lets mobile devices start connecting again (though just restarting IIS or restarting all Exchange services doesn't fix it).

I'm about to install another Exchange 2007 client access role on another machine and move some mobile users to using it for remote access and see if it performs differently.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 3
RE: ActiveSync phone issues - 20.Jun.2011 10:43:36 PM   
Ytsejamer1

interesting... We have a load of android, apple, and other users hitting our CAS for activesync and haven't run into that yet, bugs and all in the devices.  Do you have any firewall inbetween your CAS and MB servers?  Perhaps you have your mailboxes in a separate site...maybe check that config to make sure that everything is straight.  Without knowing more on your set up, it's tough to say...but it seems after so many connections, your CAS services public requests such as phones, owa, etc, cannot talk back to the exchange server housing the mailboxes.

Maybe you have some antivirus or security software on the servers which is causing the hiccup?

Just throwing some crap at the wall...maybe something will stick.

(in reply to BrianRoden)
Post #: 4
RE: ActiveSync phone issues - 21.Jun.2011 9:41:43 AM   
BrianRoden

No firewall between the servers. We installed Exchange 2007 in the summer of 2007, and added the first mobile devices (Palm Treo 650 running Windows Mobile 6) that fall. We added employees' personal Blackberry and iPhone devices here and there over time. Last summer, we replaced the company-issued Treos with Samsung Captivate Android phones. This problem didn't develop until early this year.

Yesterday I set up a new CAS and added the postmaster account to my phone, going through the new CAS for ActiveSync. Last night my phone couldn't connect to the regular server, so I sent a test message from my AOL to both e-mail addresses, and the postmaster account on my phone showed the new message withing a couple of minutes, while my regular mailbox still couldn't connect.

I'm going to start migrating the users' mobile devices one at a time to the new CAS, waiting a couple of days between each one to see if the new CAS develops the same behavior. If it does, then we have a device causing the problem. If it doesn't, then something has gone wacky with the original CAS.

(in reply to Ytsejamer1)
Post #: 5
RE: ActiveSync phone issues - 12.Oct.2011 6:55:13 AM   
shanmarsh1

Can anyone else with a WP7 device chime in and let me know if theirs is working right? Not sure if the lack of response is due to the small number of WP7 users or because I'm the only one with this issue.

(in reply to BrianRoden)
Post #: 6
RE: ActiveSync phone issues - 7.Dec.2011 9:13:28 PM   
Ytsejamer1

I have one user on WP7...and he connected to his mailbox without issue.  I'm running SP3, UR5...at the time he initially connected, it was UR3.2.

Gotta say...WP7 looks and works slick...

(in reply to shanmarsh1)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Mobility >> ActiveSync phone issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter