• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Additional IP Address for Transport Load Balancing

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Additional IP Address for Transport Load Balancing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Additional IP Address for Transport Load Balancing - 17.Nov.2011 3:34:33 PM   
sys228

I've been following Henrik's excellant article on load balancing the transport role in exchange 2010.

Can anyone confirm if adding an addition IP address to the PROD interface will then register 2 ip addresses in DNS?

If so, is this a problem or do I need to untick the "Register this IP in dns" check box on the PROD interface.

Also, if I do this will it affect dynamically registering the DAG IP in a multisite solution when the PAM moves between sites.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/management-administration/planning-deploying-testing-exchange-2010-site-resilient-solution-sized-medium-organization-part8.html

Thanks
sys228

< Message edited by sys228 -- 17.Nov.2011 3:39:54 PM >

MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, and an MCITP for Exchange Server 2007/2010 + VMWare VCP
Post #: 1
RE: Additional IP Address for Transport Load Balancing - 26.Nov.2011 7:39:08 AM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

ORIGINAL: sys228

I've been following Henrik's excellant article on load balancing the transport role in exchange 2010.

Can anyone confirm if adding an addition IP address to the PROD interface will then register 2 ip addresses in DNS?

Yes, it will.

quote:

If so, is this a problem or do I need to untick the "Register this IP in dns" check box on the PROD interface.

If you do that you will have no DNS entry for your MAPI network and will loose connectivity to your mailboxes.

quote:

Also, if I do this will it affect dynamically registering the DAG IP in a multisite solution when the PAM moves between sites.

I think the question is WHY you want to do this?

(in reply to sys228)
Post #: 2
RE: Additional IP Address for Transport Load Balancing - 27.Nov.2011 6:09:18 AM   
sys228

I was thinking along the lines of creating a static A record for the primary IP Addrss in DNS.

The reason I want to do this is to avoid having two DNS enties for each Exchange server, I want to bind the primary server IP address to the Default Receive Connector and the secondary IP address (which is load balanced) to the Message Labs Receive connector. If other Hub Transport servers in the org resolve the secondary IP address they may attempt to deliver mail to the Message labs receive connector which won't have the correct permissions/authenication types and could affect mailflow.

(in reply to Jesper Bernle)
Post #: 3
RE: Additional IP Address for Transport Load Balancing - 30.Nov.2011 8:51:04 AM   
Jesper Bernle

You control what servers (IPs) that can connect to your Receive Connector via the RemoteIPRanges parameter when creating the connector.

quote:

The RemoteIPRanges parameter specifies the remote IP addresses from which this connector accepts messages. Valid syntax for this parameter is <Starting IP Address>-<Ending IP Address>, such as 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.10. You can specify multiple IP address ranges separated by commas.

You must specify a value for the RemoteIPRanges parameter when the following parameters are specified:

Client or Usage parameter with a value of Client

Internal or Usage parameter with a value of Internal

Partner or Usage parameter with a value of Partner

Custom or Usage parameter with a value of Custom

Multiple Receive connectors on the same server can have overlapping remote IP address ranges as long as one IP address range is completely overlapped by another IP address. When remote IP address ranges overlap, the remote IP address range with the most specific match to the IP address of the connecting server is used.

The default value of the RemoteIPRanges parameter for the Internet usage type is 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255. This value indicates that the connector accepts connections from all remote IP addresses.

New-ReceiveConnector

(in reply to sys228)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Additional IP Address for Transport Load Balancing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter