• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Admin Cannot Connect to Exchange Server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Admin Cannot Connect to Exchange Server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Admin Cannot Connect to Exchange Server - 1.Mar.2006 4:08:53 PM   
rwright142

Exchange Administrator program cannot find Exchange server, even though it is running on the same box. After launching the program it shows "What server do you want to connect to?" so I enter the server name - no good. IP, no good, \\servername no good. Get the following error:
"A connection could not be made to the Microsoft Exchanger Server computer 'EXCHANGE-XXXXX'.
The Microsoft Exchange Server does not respond.
Microsoft Exchange Directory
ID no: DS_E_COMMUNICATIONS_PROBLEM

And if I click the [Browse] I get the following:
"The list of Microsoft Exchange Server computers is not available because no Microsoft Exchange Server computer could be located.
Microsoft Exchange Administrator
ID no: c10312c8

I can browse to the server to see it's shares.
It is Version 5.5 Build 2650.24: Service Pack 3 running on Windows 2000 Terminal server... (don't ask, I had nothing to do with it...)
I am new to this position and the old IT admin left and is not available so I am trying to discover how it was setup. Ideas?
Thanks in advance...
Post #: 1
RE: Admin Cannot Connect to Exchange Server - 1.Mar.2006 4:16:12 PM   
zbnet

It is possible that the account you are logged in as doesn't have administration permissions in the Exchange organization - this is needed to be able to run admin.

If the old administrator left, is his account still available, or has it been deleted?  If it's still available, you could try reseting the password, and see if you can connect when logged in as that account.

Do you know what the service account for this Exchange site is?  That should be in the documentation somewhere.  Don't reset the password if you don't know it, this will screw up the server!  Using the service account, you should definitely be able to log in and run admin, then you can repermission the Exchange organization to allow your regular account to connect.

(in reply to rwright142)
Post #: 2
RE: Admin Cannot Connect to Exchange Server - 1.Mar.2006 4:35:02 PM   
rwright142

I have admin rights. When I run the AD Master Console I can do what I need to do from there, just weird that I could not while on the Exchange server using the Exchange Admin program... Does the AD MMC disable the other?

Thanks for the quite reply!

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 3
RE: Admin Cannot Connect to Exchange Server - 1.Mar.2006 5:13:06 PM   
zbnet

Exchange 5.5 admin is totally seperate from AD MMC, and so too are the admin rights - just because you're an AD admin doesn't necessarily imply that you are an Exchange admin as well...

(in reply to rwright142)
Post #: 4
RE: Admin Cannot Connect to Exchange Server - 1.Mar.2006 5:35:25 PM   
rwright142

Got it thx. I am able to do everything in AD.

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Admin Cannot Connect to Exchange Server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter