• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 6.Apr.2007 5:01:32 PM   
Trash

Ok.  I have Exchange 2003 almost installed on a member server running Windows 2003 server.  Thanks to those who assited me so far!

I went through the "Exchange Server Deployment Tools check list for Coexistence with Exchange 5.5

Very straight forward how it walks you through the steps, then has you run the tests along the way.

Upgraded ADC on the old Exchange servers when it asked me to. and eventually it allowed me to actually install Exchange 2003.

After rebooting it wouldn't completely start up and stayed on the "running network services" for several hours without getting t the CTRL-ALT-DEL logon screen.  I even powered it off once just to be sure.  Eventually it did come up but when I went to services the Information store and MTA Stack service did not start.  I tried to start them but they timed out.

I went back to the check list and it stated that I should change all the connection agreements to point to the new server.  Did this.

One other thing I tried was to change the logon account for these two services from local system to domain administrator account.  This is how it is set up on my 5.5 servers.  But it just sits there with the hourglass and doesn't stick.  After about 30 minutes I just end it in Task Manager.

I'm at a stand still right now.  I'm thinking of restarting the server to see if it still sits there for hours or if that was a one time deal.

Where should I go from here?  Oh the post install test I ran came up with several issues and I could always post those here, but I assumed these key services not running is a major issue and might be creating those issues.

Thanks to all!  Have a good weekend.
Post #: 1
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 8.Apr.2007 5:22:23 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Sticking where you say it did denotes a network problem; either physical card, DNS, WINS or IP settings. Do a check and make sure that everything is set perfectly and that there is no "could not find domain blah" message indicating said network problems.

Put those services back to the logon they should be at. Exchange 2000/2003 does not use a specific account to start the service(s)

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 2
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 9.Apr.2007 10:57:36 AM   
Trash

Thanks Mark I will look that over.  It started up just fine until I installed Exchange 2003.  After eventually getting the logon screen and typing in the username and password it again sits there forever with the "applying computer settings".

One thing mentioned in the "List" is if there were a lot of issues, to make sure the GC server specified is not a Domain Controller.  This was confusing to me because I thought Global Catelog servers had to be DCs.

I wonder if I should try uninstalling Exchange, restarting it, and try reinstalling Exchange again?

To re-cap this is a brand new HP Proliant 380 with a fresh install of Windows 2003 Advanced Server with all patches and service packs intalled.  No other software is installed other than Exchange 2003.

Appreciate the responses once again.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 10.Apr.2007 10:52:00 AM   
Trash

Well I had an additional new server in the wings with another fresh install of Windows 2003 Advanced Server.  I decided to install Exchange 2003 on this machine to coexist with 5.5 to see if the problem was with the other server.  After the installation the services would not start on this machine as well. : (

If there is a problem with the ADC and any connection agreements, would this prevent the services form starting?

One thing that I did not mention was that the site name in 5.5 contained an illegal character.  A comma (,).  I was hoping to get this thing going enough so that I could move the mailboxes over and decommission the 5.5 server.

Would the illegal character prevent the Exchange services from running?  If so does anyone know a work around?

What are my options for making this as smooth as possible withouut joining the 5.5 site?

Thanks again!

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 4
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 10.Apr.2007 11:59:30 AM   
de.blackman

What services exactly are not starting? What error messages are you seeing in the event logs of the Exchange 2003 server?

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 5
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 10.Apr.2007 1:47:19 PM   
Trash

Thanks de,

The service that is sticking in "starting" mode is MS Exchange System Attendant.  The other services that are not starting are MS Exchange MTA Stacks and MS Exchange Information Store.

The Application Event viewer is throwing out this event every minute or so.

"Event ID 9157

MSExchangeSA does not have sufficient rights to read the Exchange configuration objects in active directory.  Wait for replication to complete then check to make sure the computer account is a member of the Exchange Domain Servers security group."

I checked and the computer name is indeed a member of this security group and has replicated to all three DCs.

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 6
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 11.Apr.2007 10:46:09 AM   
Trash

I have been doing some research and have not come up with anything yet.  Can somebody point me in the right direction?

How can I determine if I'm running service pack 2?  If I'm not would it be worth it to install service pack 2 based on the database limit with Excahnge 2003 Standard Edition?

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 7
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 11.Apr.2007 2:11:14 PM   
de.blackman

If the system attendant doesnt start then none of the other exchange services will not start. System attendant not starting usually is either an active directory permissions issue or DNS resolution issue. Can you confirm that the exchange server points only to internal DNS servers? Also i would recommend that you set the system attendant service to disabled, reboot the server, set the system attendant back to automatic (do not start it though) and apply exchange service pack 2. Even if it was applied previously it should not be an issue re-applying it.

Another thing to check is that the exchange server has permissions on the organization level. Use ADSIEdit.msc from Windows Support tools and drill down to configuration container\services\microsoft exchange. Check the properties of YourOrgName and in the security tab make sure the server object is listed in there. If not add it with full control and make sure the permissions are applied to all child objects and containers as well.

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 8
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 11.Apr.2007 4:37:47 PM   
Trash

Thanks so much!

Will do all that you suggested.  I actually started the service pack 2 install this morning but it came to the part where it wanted to stop the Exhnge SA service and you could guess what happened then. : )  Permanent stall.

I have disabled the Exchange SA and am waiting for it to start up again.  I will update on the progress of the service pack and permissions verifications.

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 9
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 4:22:20 AM   
pjhutch

I recently installed Exchange 2003 and had the same issue and the solution is to wait for Exchange to replicate the information to the DCs, in particular, as soon as the Exchange server account is added to the 'Exchange Domain Servers' group then ExchangeSA and other services will start up as then it will have rights to read the configuration.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator
University of Huddersfield

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 10
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 11:05:03 AM   
Trash

Thanks PJ.  But I installed the first Exchange last week and the second one a few days ago.  Shouldn't it have replicated already?

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 11
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 11:09:36 AM   
a.grogan

Hiya Trash, have you seen these;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260914
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb218211.aspx

Thanks

Andy Grogan
MSExchange.org Forums Moderator
For my general ramblings about Exchange please visit my website:
W: http://www.telnetport25.com/
B: http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/
M: manifoldmaster@gmail.com

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 12
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 11:11:18 AM   
pjhutch

It should have done it after 30 mins or so. If so, open the 'Exchange Domain Servers' group in the Users container and add the appropiate computer accounts there manually (a user with Domain/Entrprise Admins should have done it automatically).

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 13
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 12:20:30 PM   
Trash

Yesterday I installed the the second Exchange 2003 server in the 'Exchange Domain Servers' group.  The first Exchange server was already there.

I checked the DNS entries on the NICs on both Exchange servers and they only point to the internal Windows DNS servers.

I disabled the MSExchangeSA service restarted both machines enabled the service again and installed Service pack 2 for Exchange 2003.

Restarted the servers and the MSExchangeSA service did not start again and just hangs in the "Starting" mode.

I did this as suggested by de

"Use ADSIEdit.msc from Windows Support tools and drill down to configuration container\services\microsoft exchange. Check the properties of YourOrgName and in the security tab make sure the server object is listed in there. If not add it with full control and make sure the permissions are applied to all child objects and containers as well."

Last night.

Should I try and run forestprep and domain prep again?  Uninstall Exchange and reinstall?

Thanks as usual!!! ; )

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 14
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 12:47:06 PM   
pjhutch

What user are you using to install exchange, it needs local and domain admin rights to install Exchange!
Have you run the dcdiag and the netdiag tools before installing Exchange?

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 15
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 1:07:18 PM   
Trash

I used the domain administrator account and was logged into the domain when I installed Exchange on the 2 servers.  Doesn't this mean I would have local admin rights on the machine?  How would I add local admin rights to the domain administrator account?  Or should I be logged in as the local Administrator?

I did run dcdiag and netdiag tools before installing and don't remember seeing any issues.  I will run them again and psot the results.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 16
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 3:09:08 PM   
intercore

How many users do you have. It might be easier to do an exmerge to pst and then exmerge back into the new exchange 2003 box. We can write a script for you. Let me know.

Scott Wiseman
Project Manager
Intercore Technologies, Inc.
Los Angeles, CA 90403
888-603-6333 ext 89
Exchange Migration Consultants

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 17
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 3:21:24 PM   
Trash

I have about 40 users and we don't use the public folders for anything so nothing to migrate there.

Would this be a fresh install vs a "coexisting with 5.5" install?  And do your feel my issue is trying to coexist with 5.5 is my problem possibly due to the illegal character (,) in my old site name?

Thanks or the responce intercore!

(in reply to intercore)
Post #: 18
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 3:24:22 PM   
intercore

were are you located?

Scott
888-603- 6333 x89

call me if you want

Scott Wiseman
Project Manager
Intercore Technologies, Inc.
Los Angeles, CA 90403
888-603-6333 ext 89
Exchange Migration Consultants

(in reply to Trash)
Post #: 19
RE: Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start - 12.Apr.2007 3:32:31 PM   
Trash

Thanks Scott.  I'm in Denver.  I'll give you a ring.

-Scott

(in reply to intercore)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Almost installed Exchange 2003- Services won't start Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter