• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Another 550 571 Unable to relay error

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Another 550 571 Unable to relay error Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another 550 571 Unable to relay error - 9.Jan.2009 2:13:25 PM   
ljgross

New to Exchange 2007 SP1 and ForeFront. We have some applications that are used to send out emails upon confirmation or denial of financial information. When the email is sent to external addresses we get the unable to relay error. I did create a receive connector and if I put the ip of the pc sending the email and restart the hub service it works. The problem I have with this solution is that if you have hundreds of pcs needing this solution it becomes unmanageable.

Any other ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Another 550 571 Unable to relay error - 9.Jan.2009 2:41:44 PM   
de.blackman

Unfortunately that is the nature of the beast! You have to specify either unique IP addresses on the connector (which I think is more secure because you know exactly what machines you as an administrator have allowed to relay through exchange) or specify a subnet of IPs. I personally prefer the first option. I had some issues with a client who were having the same feelings as you are saying that they had too many machines and it could be unmanageable, so going against my recommendations they used the subnet option. About 2-3 months down the road, guess what??? One of their PCs on the network was infected with a virus and it started relaying spam messages through their exchange server, cause them to be blacklisted for sometime. Finding that machine was a pain!!!! But of course this was a one-off thing.

Allowing application servers to relay off Exchange Server 2007
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/12/28/432013.aspx

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to ljgross)
Post #: 2
RE: Another 550 571 Unable to relay error - 9.Jan.2009 3:11:07 PM   
ljgross

Thank you for your prompt response. Of course that is not what I wanted to hear, but if the system is setup to function this way I will live with it.

Thank you again.

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Another 550 571 Unable to relay error Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter