• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Anti-virus for Exchange

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Anti-virus for Exchange Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anti-virus for Exchange - 8.Jun.2000 4:32:00 PM   
gavinr

Hi folks,

What are people's opinions about the various AV products out there for Exchange.

Trend Micro's ScanMail is popular, but I am looking for other options.

All experiences much appreciated

Gavin

Post #: 1
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 8.Jun.2000 6:16:00 PM   
try Antigen from Sybari Software
We have just completed the 30 day trial period and it worked well.

(in reply to gavinr)
  Post #: 2
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 8.Jun.2000 10:52:00 PM   
LenB

Norton Antivirus for Exchange works very well. We have 9 sites running 13 Exchange servers and have not been affected by a virus yet!
Check out www.symantec.com for more details.

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 3
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 9.Jun.2000 5:27:00 AM   
for a gateway scanner, check out Mail essentials. It will also block future viruses by blocking attachment types

(in reply to gavinr)
  Post #: 4
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 9.Jun.2000 7:11:00 AM   
We use Norton Antivirus and it works fine

(in reply to gavinr)
  Post #: 5
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 9.Jun.2000 7:26:00 AM   
tsgadam

I use Scanmail for Exchange and have little problems with it. There is a great feature that blocks file attachments of file types you specify.

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 6
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 9.Jun.2000 7:40:00 AM   
Meg

I use Groupshield for Exchange from Network Associates, use it on 7 servers. Has been top so far. Causes no issues in Exchange, lastest version 4.5 blocks specific attachments. Has very good alerting and reporting properties. Since we have used it, in conjunction with other NA products, we have not sent one virus from our organisation.

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 7
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 9.Jun.2000 8:49:00 AM   
I am using Network Associates Groupshield. It seems to do the job quite well. The Outbreak feature of NA groupshield is very good.

quote:
Originally posted by gavinr:
Hi folks,

What are people's opinions about the various AV products out there for Exchange.

Trend Micro's ScanMail is popular, but I am looking for other options.

All experiences much appreciated

Gavin

(in reply to gavinr)
  Post #: 8
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 9.Jun.2000 10:13:00 AM   
nasz

Et al,

We evaluated Norton, AntiGen and TrendMicro Systems software. Our conclusion was that Scanmail (Trend) provided the most effective solution to guarding our mail gateway - Most applications gave us the autoupgrade option as well as attachment stripping, heuristic scanning. But the ease of use combined with the fact that it will deploy duplicate virus signatures across our mail servers. pointed us at Scammail.

------------------

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 9
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 9.Jun.2000 11:11:00 AM   
dleger

STAY AWAY FROM INOCULATE IT ... "nuff Said

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 10
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 9.Jun.2000 12:59:00 PM   
Lorna

I tested the three products that were available back in 97 when they were beta and 1.0. ScanMail won - no contest. I still use ScanMail but have also rolled Norton for clients. Norton is OK. LiveUpdate was problematic.

I have not used Groupshield in production. From all the horror stories I've read on Exchange lists about pre 4.2 versions it's one package I'm glad I stayed away from. From what I understand it's now stable.

I continue to recommend and use ScanMail.

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 11
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 12.Jun.2000 4:27:00 AM   
Interesting that Scanmail gets popular votes. We also use it, Trend seems to get updates faster than many other AV companies.

Has anyone ever come across an AV product that protects over X400 connectors? It would be useful to provide inter-office protection as well as inter-company protection. No doubt the only answer is to use SMTP connectors, and use an AV product that checks IMS databases.

Has anyone had any negative feedback on Scanmail 3.5 using the AV API? I read that you need latest SP3 patches to prevent store crashes, but I'm interested to know if anyone has had any issues.

(in reply to gavinr)
  Post #: 12
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 12.Jun.2000 5:24:00 AM   
What are peoples main problem with Innocolate ?/

We have it installed (pre me) on a number of remote Exchange servers and have not yet had any problems ??

Ta

(in reply to gavinr)
  Post #: 13
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 12.Jun.2000 9:04:00 AM   
Lorna

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew:
Has anyone ever come across an AV product that protects over X400 connectors? It would be useful to provide inter-office protection as well as inter-company protection. No doubt the only answer is to use SMTP connectors, and use an AV product that checks IMS databases.
/QUOTE]

ScanMail protects over any connector because it monitors at the mailbox level - any attachments leaving a mailbox via any connector will be scanned for virus'. Any attachment entering a mailbox via any connector will be scanned. When these products first hit the streets MS would not give them the information they needed to write the products to the MTA level so the mailbox level was used. This produces a vulnerability. A user is able to open an email before it's scanned by the AV product. I have done it with ScanMail but don't believe it is limited to that product. Any scanner at the mailbox level would theoretically have this exposure.

As for SP3 - you should apply it per MS. It has lots of nice fixes.

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 14
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 12.Jun.2000 9:11:00 AM   
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew:
Interesting that Scanmail gets popular votes. We also use it, Trend seems to get updates faster than many other AV companies.

Has anyone had any negative feedback on Scanmail 3.5 using the AV API? I read that you need latest SP3 patches to prevent store crashes, but I'm interested to know if anyone has had any issues.

I (and other sites I know) have had issues with the Scanmail 3.5 release using the MS API. We have suffered problems with attachments (cannot open them) due to what appears to be a memory leak problem with the real-time scanning module. Trend's suggestion currently is to turn off the API option (which may let viruses through Exchange) and protest yourself using Viruswall on the SMTP feed. Any information about this would be welcome!

(in reply to gavinr)
  Post #: 15
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 13.Jun.2000 9:16:00 PM   
Nagy

Scanmail is the best.

------------------
Nagy

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 16
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 14.Jun.2000 2:54:00 AM   
RvdPK

You could also use NAI (McAfee) the Groupshield version. But we have difficulty installing it, but I have seen it working and it looks really great.

Good luck

Rene

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 17
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 14.Jun.2000 3:11:00 AM   
RvdPK

Meg can you please send me an email, because I have problems installing netshield and also groupshield...
quote:
Originally posted by Meg:
I use Groupshield for Exchange from Network Associates, use it on 7 servers. Has been top so far. Causes no issues in Exchange, lastest version 4.5 blocks specific attachments. Has very good alerting and reporting properties. Since we have used it, in conjunction with other NA products, we have not sent one virus from our organisation.

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 18
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 15.Jun.2000 8:17:00 AM   
We have used Norton AV, GroupShield and Sybari Antigen. Sybari is the one we decided to stick with. It is extremely easy to install. The best part is it can catch viruses before they get into the information store. It is not dependant on the client to catch the virus. It can also use virus definitions from multiple vendors. Great product.

(in reply to gavinr)
  Post #: 19
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 15.Jun.2000 9:22:00 AM   
dleger

Problem with inoculate it is that it's OLD news... It's badly written and it only auto update's once per month... You can't even change that option... 1 per month just doesn't cut it these days... And I only bought the prduct 4 months ago... It's on the way out the door !

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Anti-virus for Exchange Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter