• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Authentication problems with Edge transport?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Authentication problems with Edge transport? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Authentication problems with Edge transport? - 15.Oct.2009 9:58:27 AM   
techstl

We are running EBS 2008 VMs on top of a Win2k8 Hyper-v host.  Yesterday morning, we were working in Forefront TMG on the edge transport server when an employee noticed email wasn't reaching any external recipients.  Upon viewing the queues on our hub server, we noticed that the edgesync queue was stacking up and having problems communicating with our edge server.  The "last error" on this queue is...

451 4.4.0 Primary target IP address responded with: "421 4.4.2 Connection dropped." Attempted to failover.........

The catch is.... the queue WILL eventually empty to the edge server and mail will reach its intended external recipients.  I've had as much as a 36 minute delay sending a test email to my GMail account.  When I run the Mail Flow Troubleshooter on the hub machine for messages stacking in a queue, the DNS checks pass okay until I get to the Remote Delivery Queue(s) Records Analysis where I receive the following error....

No 'Host' record(s) found for server <edge transport FQDN>
Server <edge transport FQDN> is a remote server which server <hub transport> is trying to send messages but no 'Host' records of server <edge transport FQDN> can be obtained from any DNS servers server <hub transport> uses.  This may be causing message backups in the queue.

I've looked at the DNS servers on the hub's NIC and verified the host record is there.  I've even added it to the HOSTS file.  I suppose this error could also be linked to a connectivity problem but we can repeat this error consistently when running the troubleshooting tool.

I sent 65 continuous pings from the hub to the edge without a single dropped packet.  Also, running nslookup from the hub seems to indicate that the DNS records are configured properly.

EBS installs the edge transport on a "Security" server which also contains TMG.  It also joins that server to the domain (non-standard practice for Exchange 2007?).  Yesterday morning, we had to remove the edge server from the domain and re-attach it.  I'm not sure if that's relevant but I didn't want to leave it out in case it's linked.

Anybody have any ideas on where to look or what to try?

< Message edited by techstl -- 15.Oct.2009 10:00:06 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Authentication problems with Edge transport? - 16.Oct.2009 9:36:41 AM   
techstl

*crickets* 

I called Microsoft yesterday.  They remoted into the machine and couldn't quickly identify the problem.  They had me run MSDTs on both Exchange servers and I'm awaiting a call back.

Meanwhile, our sales people think the "sky is falling" because outbound email is delayed.

(in reply to techstl)
Post #: 2
RE: Authentication problems with Edge transport? - 16.Oct.2009 9:48:35 AM   
techstl

Doh... 1h 22mins in queue this morning.

(in reply to techstl)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Authentication problems with Edge transport? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter