• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

BES and ActiveSync

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Mobility >> BES and ActiveSync Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BES and ActiveSync - 3.Sep.2010 9:49:14 AM   
cdubya

I'm needing some help with questions about these two topics from people who have worked with these kind of setups with Exchange.

We have an Exchange 2007 setup and a variety of smart phones (blackberry, windows mobile) and there have been requests to do something more to sync the data in particular on the blackberry devices (they're getting mail, but they want calendar and contacts synced without having to be in the office to do it).

I have been looking at BES and the possibility of setting up the Express version, but I'm wondering about a few things.

1. What is a reasonable time expectation for setup/configuration/installation? I have no experience with this type of installation, so I'm hoping there are some here who have and can give me a realistic estimate.

2. Is it recommended practice to install BES on a separate server from Exchange? I want to make sure we're not setting ourselves up for issues if BES has problems that may require a reboot and then takes down our mail server if they live on the same box.

3. ActiveSync - From what I've read, it sounds like when you have a Windows Mobile device that uses ActiveSync, it handles not only the mail, but also syncs calendar and contacts. Am I reading that correctly or is this something that has to additionally be pushed out to the device? Is ActiveSync actually retrieving contacts/calendar items to keep them in sync or does any of it get pushed to the device by Exchange?

4. If anyone has any experiential words of wisdom approaching this type of implementation, I would greatly appreciate it. :-)

Thanks in advance,

C.
Post #: 1
RE: BES and ActiveSync - 3.Sep.2010 4:10:12 PM   
John Weber

BES needs a separate box/server.
If you can't get BES running in less than four hours...
EAS is flat out simple. The e2k7 online help has all the info you need.

John Weber [Lync MVP] http://tsoorad.blogspot.com

(in reply to cdubya)
Post #: 2
RE: BES and ActiveSync - 20.Sep.2010 5:39:41 PM   
mmmike

quote:

1. What is a reasonable time expectation for setup/configuration/installation? I have no experience with this type of installation, so I'm hoping there are some here who have and can give me a realistic estimate.

Installation takes about 40 minutes (with a restart) configuration dependes of what you need the server to do for you and how many devices you want to sync.
Overall ill say about 1.5-3 hours.

quote:

Is it recommended practice to install BES on a separate server from Exchange? I want to make sure we're not setting ourselves up for issues if BES has problems that may require a reboot and then takes down our mail server if they live on the same box.

Best practice will be installing BESX on a dedicated server. If you dont have this option, you can install it on some file server or terminal server, dont worry about IIS, BESX install his own apache server. remove any Office applications installed on the target server.

quote:

3. ActiveSync - From what I've read, it sounds like when you have a Windows Mobile device that uses ActiveSync, it handles not only the mail, but also syncs calendar and contacts. Am I reading that correctly or is this something that has to additionally be pushed out to the device? Is ActiveSync actually retrieving contacts/calendar items to keep them in sync or does any of it get pushed to the device by Exchange?

Its true, Exchange 2003/2007/2010 can push almost everything to your handheld device - depends on the software you have installed on the handheld to sync with the Exchange server. i.e, Mail for Exchange for Nokia devices or the built in app for IPhone.

You can find all the information Here

< Message edited by mmmike -- 20.Sep.2010 5:43:46 PM >

(in reply to John Weber)
Post #: 3
RE: BES and ActiveSync - 17.Dec.2010 3:36:00 PM   
NarayanM

BES is fairly straight forward to set up and configure. The server installation is very straight forward. The 'hardest' part is setting proper permissions for the BES service account. That said, the How To guides are very straight forward and BES has a giant community behind it.

EAS is easy to set up (in that you do nothing) but it is a bit more of a pain to troubleshoot sync issues.

(in reply to cdubya)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Mobility >> BES and ActiveSync Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter