• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Bulk PST Repair Tool ?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Bulk PST Repair Tool ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bulk PST Repair Tool ? - 9.Jan.2006 10:34:19 AM   
Brucec

Morning Technocrats

I have a serious dilemma and Iím hoping someone can assist. I am responsible for an Email Archiving Product (EmailXtender) in a project that involves the ingestion of Terabytes of PST data. The product works well except for instances where there is inconsistent data in the PST, this causes that data not to be ingested .The solution is to use the Microsoftís built in tool SCANPST which fixes the corrupted PST and a full ingestion can happen .However SCANPST only allows you to select one PST at a time .This is not practical as I have several thousand PST that  need to be repaired, I am looking for an application that allows me to select more than one PST at a time and then repair them. Microsoft says they donít have such a tool, which stupefies me as there must have been a requirement for this. Does anyone know of a way to choose and then  do bulk fixes of PSTís like SCANPST does for single PSTís
Thx
Post #: 1
RE: Bulk PST Repair Tool ? - 9.Jan.2006 9:00:31 PM   
mark@mvps.org

None that I know of. Wondering if you can script the running of scanpst. Not sure you can even do that though.
That said, I think you should probably skip the idea anyway, if an item is corrupted in the PST then you should jsut take the hit and skip the item. I take it that the import feature can just run past the PST file issues to the next valid item? I know one of the competitor product does it without a problem.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to Brucec)
Post #: 2
RE: Bulk PST Repair Tool ? - 10.Jan.2006 10:12:08 AM   
zbnet

It is not possible to run scanpst in a script/batch mode.

I think your best option is a third party tool that can read and correct PSTs, something that Ontrack seem to have expereince in.

This is an excellent case study to reinforce the message that PST = BAD.  Just thinking about terabytes of PST data makes a cold shiver go down my spine...

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Bulk PST Repair Tool ? - 10.Jan.2006 12:47:43 PM   
Brucec

Afternoon
Thx for the feedback .The problem is  we canít leave behind that data because it represents about 20 % of the total PST data. The data is still accessible in Outlook but EmailXtender isnít able to ingest it until SCANPST is run. We use KVS as well but this customer has bought EmailXtender. We are looking for a 3rd party product and will happily purchase it, if it fulfills the technical requirement. I will look into Ontrack in the meantime but if there are other products or ideas please let me know.

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Bulk PST Repair Tool ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter