• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

CAG setup with only 1 CAS Server??

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> CAG setup with only 1 CAS Server?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CAG setup with only 1 CAS Server?? - 28.Apr.2011 9:54:25 AM   
butre

hi

is there any point in setting up a CAG when you only have 1 CAS server per AD site.

i am not using loadbalancing and only have 1 CAG, just wondering whether it makes sense to use CAGs' or not? the only advantage i can think of are

a) add more CAS servers in future
b) replace CAS server with new CAS server and you don't have to change outlook profiles for mapi connections?

would you agree or just leave the outlook mapi connections to connect to the FQDN of the CAS server instead of a CAG ip address?

i do have a 2nd AD site with a DR setup (CAS/HUB and mailbox server) with their own namespace so i would have to setup a separate CAG there as well if i would do the same in the production site

many thanks
Post #: 1
RE: CAG setup with only 1 CAS Server?? - 2.May2011 9:51:16 AM   
de.blackman

By CAG I assume you mean CAS Array??? If you only have one CAS per site then I really do not see why you need to create it. Might as well wait until you setup a new CAS server just to avoid any possible issues.

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to butre)
Post #: 2
RE: CAG setup with only 1 CAS Server?? - 6.May2011 8:52:00 AM   
butre

yes i meant CAS array sorry  . I found an technet article that suggest even if you only have 1 cas server to setup a cas array anyway, sadly i can now no longer found the article having searched for the last 30 minutes. but i did read it, it makes it easer to later on add a new cas server and or replace your cas server. 

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3
RE: CAG setup with only 1 CAS Server?? - 19.May2011 4:41:33 PM   
megs

I would setup a CAS array even if you only have one CAS. Simply because all it requires in a DNS alias to start with. If you want to add in another CAS server and load balance you don't have to worry about outlook profile troubles.

I know the technet articles you speak of, but also can't remember where they are :)

(in reply to butre)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> CAG setup with only 1 CAS Server?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter