• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

CAN'T OPEN THIS ITEM YOUR DIGITAL ID NAME CANNOT BE FOUND BY THE UNDERLYING SECURITY SYSTEM

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> CAN'T OPEN THIS ITEM YOUR DIGITAL ID NAME CANNOT BE FOUND BY THE UNDERLYING SECURITY SYSTEM Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CAN'T OPEN THIS ITEM YOUR DIGITAL ID NAME CANNOT BE FOU... - 17.Jun.2008 6:13:53 PM   
JKOPP

This error seriously is getting on my nerves. I have a user on the exchange server who is not able to open encrypted emails, and receives this error message: "
CAN'T OPEN THIS ITEM YOUR DIGITAL ID NAME CANNOT BE FOUND BY THE UNDERLYING SECURITY SYSTEM"

We've tried unloading and reloading the certs and it doesn't work. does anyone have any ideas?

JK
Post #: 1
RE: CAN'T OPEN THIS ITEM YOUR DIGITAL ID NAME CANNOT BE... - 17.Jun.2008 7:41:16 PM   
123raghu

Hi,

This is usually caused by certificates in your store that arenít valid any
longer.

(Slight variations between different versions of Outlook)
Open Outlook -> Click Tools -> Options
Select the security Tab, Click on Settings
Under Certificates and Algorithms Click choose and select the correct certificate.

Check server certificate store to make sure there arenít any stored there either:
Open Active Directory Users and Computers
Under the User container, Select the user, go to Properties
Select the Published Certificates Tab
Remove the other certificates which are not valid.

Let me know if this helps....

Cheers,
Raghu

It is not how much you do, but how much love you put in the doing......

Cheers,
Raghu
Raghuv@live.com

(in reply to JKOPP)
Post #: 2
RE: CAN'T OPEN THIS ITEM YOUR DIGITAL ID NAME CANNOT BE... - 17.Jun.2008 7:58:41 PM   
JKOPP

We've tried that solution once already, and it didn't work. Pretty soon, we're going to be pushing Office 2007, (we're at 2003 right now) and hopefully that will take care of the problem, which i'm sure it won't.

We've even gone as far as deleted their certs all together and reloading new ones, but nothing seems to work.

(in reply to 123raghu)
Post #: 3
RE: CAN'T OPEN THIS ITEM YOUR DIGITAL ID NAME CANNOT BE... - 18.Jun.2008 10:52:54 AM   
rpm

I've seen this where there is a mismatch of certificates in Outlook and AD - we have certs stored on smart cards, but where users have a different cert stored in AD then this is used by default and throws this error when the recipient attempts to derypt.

(in reply to JKOPP)
Post #: 4
RE: CAN'T OPEN THIS ITEM YOUR DIGITAL ID NAME CANNOT BE... - 18.Jun.2008 3:26:28 PM   
JKOPP

I've also tried that. The only thing I can think of now, is that the user got a new Smart Card, and the certs are not the same anymore, hopefully just publishing the new certs to the GAL will fix the problem, but I'm pretty sure that the user has done that already

JK

(in reply to rpm)
Post #: 5
RE: CAN'T OPEN THIS ITEM YOUR DIGITAL ID NAME CANNOT BE... - 26.Feb.2013 10:15:32 AM   
dharv

I am having a similar problem. I unloaded and reloaded all of the user's certs and after that he can only open encrypted emails from some people. How do I fix that for the others whose emails he cannot decrypt?

(in reply to JKOPP)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> CAN'T OPEN THIS ITEM YOUR DIGITAL ID NAME CANNOT BE FOUND BY THE UNDERLYING SECURITY SYSTEM Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter