• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

CAS/HUB Exchange 2010 Array

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> CAS/HUB Exchange 2010 Array Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CAS/HUB Exchange 2010 Array - 31.Jan.2012 11:55:21 AM   
LenhJr

I am looking into implementing a CAS/HUB HA setup into our existing single CAS/HUB setup. 2 CAS/HUB servers using NLB.

I already have one Exchange 2010 server running the CAS/HUB features. I know how to configure the HA with Microsoft NLB and creating the array name and IP along with the DNS (A)record for the Outlook clients to look to.

My question is 2 part and is this.
Q1.Can I create the CAS/HUB array with NLB configured and stop at that point without running the cmd on the mailbox servers to point to the new array name and not have the Outlook clients see any interruption or issues with sending and receiving emails?

Q2. What is the best/easiest way to notify the Outlook clients of the new array name to use when the cmd is executed on the mailbox servers when I’m ready to start using it? I've read that I will need to manually change all the Outlook clients to point to the array name instead of the CAS server for authentication to their mailbox.

Any help/advise will be gratefully appreciated.

Len
Post #: 1
RE: CAS/HUB Exchange 2010 Array - 14.Feb.2012 5:07:56 PM   
Statikd

If your autodiscover services are functioning within Exchange, you should be ok. Have you told your databases that they now sit behind a CAS array?

You can test with an individual database first by doing:

Create a new DB, put a test mailbox on it. Configure Outlook with the CAS server name (not array). Then run the below command:

Set-MailboxDatabase -name "TESTDB" –RpcClientAccessServer “casarrayname.yourdomain.com”

Close and reopen Outlook. If you are able to connect, check your Outlook profile, it should now be showing casarrayname.yourdomain.com, if autodiscover is working.

If autodiscover is working, and you execute the following, you shouldn't have to change a single Outlook client, as autodiscover will do the work for you.

Get-mailboxdatabase | Set-MailboxDatabase –RpcClientAccessServer “casarrayname.yourdopmain.com”

(in reply to LenhJr)
Post #: 2
RE: CAS/HUB Exchange 2010 Array - 15.Feb.2012 9:04:57 AM   
LenhJr

Statikid,

Thanks for the insight and the reply. Didn't think of creating a test DB and trying it that way but I will defiantly do that. I haven't been given the green light as of yet to create the CAS Array but will try this once I get upper managements approval to implement the array.

Thanks,
Len

(in reply to Statikd)
Post #: 3
RE: CAS/HUB Exchange 2010 Array - 22.Feb.2012 12:56:00 AM   
janejackson

The first mailbox that goes onto the 2010 MBX is using the CAS. There is no direct access to the MBX anymore so you need the CAS first otherwise any mailboxes you move to the MBX are inaccessible. 

Seo UK
Hosting
Killeen Homes
Android App Development

(in reply to LenhJr)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> CAS/HUB Exchange 2010 Array Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter