• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

CDONTS and Exchange

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> CDONTS and Exchange Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CDONTS and Exchange - 18.Oct.2006 5:08:59 AM   
clum1

I've got an intranet where I use CDONTS to send messages back and forth.  A significant number are not being delivered though correctly addressed. It seems they are leaving the organisation from the intranet server then being caught in our (externally hosted by F-PROT) spam filters.  My question; is there a way to set my intranet server to post CDONTS mail directly to my Exchange server, thus bypassing the spam trap?

Calum
Post #: 1
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 27.Oct.2006 10:46:17 AM   
pjhutch

You could if you have an internal DNS server, then you can set up an MX record pointing to your incoming mail server and thus will avoid be sent externally...

(in reply to clum1)
Post #: 2
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 27.Oct.2006 1:11:46 PM   
a.grogan

Assuming that the CDONTS application is based around ASP you could configure an IIS SMTP server which has a smarthost set either as your Exchange servers's virtual SMTP server -or- just use DNS on the IIS server, but this is only if the CDONTS application is IIS based.

A

Andy Grogan
MSExchange.org Forums Moderator
For my general ramblings about Exchange please visit my website:
W: http://www.telnetport25.com/
B: http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/
M: manifoldmaster@gmail.com

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 3
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 20.Dec.2006 9:52:37 AM   
clum1

Hi guys, thanks for getting back to me; it's only now I can devote any time to this! The problem is still happening and I am still stumped. 
The CDONTs app is based on IIS (4 or whatever it is on ancieNT) and I would have the ability to setup either a DNS server or IIS SMTP server but I don't know where to start.  Could anyone point me in the right direction please?  Does the DNS server have to be on the same box? I have all the bits, just need the brains to help me stick it all together...

cheers

Calum

(in reply to a.grogan)
Post #: 4
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 20.Dec.2006 5:50:36 PM   
pjhutch

You can set up DNS service on any server incl it can be either a Unix box or Windows NT, 2000 or 2003, it doesn't matter. But the TCP/IP properties of the Exchange or SMTP server needs to point to that server. If you need internet resolution then you need to configure your ISP's DNS IP addresses on the Forwarders on DNS server.
For NT4, you can install DNS via Network properties and add it on the Services tab. For 2000/2003 you can add it via Add/Remove Windows Components or use the 'Configure my server' admin tool.

(in reply to clum1)
Post #: 5
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 21.Dec.2006 7:04:46 AM   
clum1

Thanks again for getting back to me; I've setup a 2k3 box as a DNS server and have both my IIS intranet server and Exchange server pointing to it as their DNS server.  This seems to work - ie. they both resolve internet addresses fine though nslookup returns an error saying it can't find server name - No-existant domain.

On the DNS box, I have set up an MX record (in the forward lookup zones) but it does not seem seem to work.  I am not sure if I am giving it the correct info;
Host or child domain: same as parent folder
FQDN: <NT Domain name>
FQDN of mail server: <ExchangeServerName>.<NT Domain name>
Mail server priority: 10

I tried setting the ExchangeServerName to its IP address, but this failed to even send the message.  Is there something else I'm missing?

Calum

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 6
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 21.Dec.2006 7:29:13 AM   
pjhutch

You need a NS (Name server) and a A (Host record) for the DNS server. It also helps to have a Reverse Lookup Zone which resolves IP addresses back to hostnames.
Also, run IPCONFIG /all and check that the FQDN is shown (Host name + domain), otherwise you need to specify the FQDN in the Network (or computer) properties.

(in reply to clum1)
Post #: 7
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 21.Dec.2006 8:07:33 AM   
clum1

thanks; I have the NS and the A (Host Record) both pointing at the DNS server itself, ie. DNS server is called BES1, Name Server is BES1. and Host(A) is BES1's IP address.
Running IPCONFIG /ALL gives the hostname as BES; should I change this in System Properties / Computer Name to DomainName.BES1?
Thanks again for your help; this is all new to me!

Calum

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 8
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 22.Dec.2006 6:11:31 AM   
pjhutch

No, it should be BES1.domain e.g. BES1.mycompany.com

(in reply to clum1)
Post #: 9
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 8.Jan.2007 4:49:22 AM   
clum1

Hi there; still haven't got this resolved...
If I try and change the computer name in the System Properties tab it won't allow me to change it to include periods - e.g. BES1.mycompany.com
How do I get round this? Also, my NT domain name is different from my email domain name - which would I use?

thanks again,
Calum

< Message edited by clum1 -- 8.Jan.2007 4:52:24 AM >

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 10
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 8.Jan.2007 11:56:00 AM   
pjhutch

No, what you do is click on 'More...' then for the Primary DNS suffix add the mycompany.com there.

(in reply to clum1)
Post #: 11
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 9.Jan.2007 3:07:39 AM   
clum1

Thanks again; I think I'm getting lost here, though I've managed to get that sorted out now.  If I run ipconfig /all I get:

Host name: . . . . . .bes1
Primary DNS suffix: . . . . . .emaildomain.com
Node type: . . . . . Hybrid
IP Routing enabled: . . . . No
WINS Proxy Enabled: . . . . .No
DNS Suffix Search List: . . . . emaildomain.com

Just to clarify, should it be bes1.NTdomain or bes1.emaildomain.com?  I think I may have lost sight of the original problem - will getting this up and running ensure that any mails generated by the IIS server for emaildomain.com stay internally or will I need to rconfigure it too?

thanks again

Calum

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 12
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 9.Jan.2007 4:11:12 AM   
pjhutch

The DNS suffix should match the domain in your dns server.

(in reply to clum1)
Post #: 13
RE: CDONTS and Exchange - 9.Jan.2007 4:38:54 AM   
clum1

Many thanks - it now seems to be working.  What I thought was a further error actually turned out to be the proof - sending an email from my IIS development PC was routing out on the internet whereas live server ones weren't.  I have of course left the DNS settings as default on the dev PC, thus the "error".  So the live one definitely works!

Thanks again for your help,

Calum

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> CDONTS and Exchange Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter