• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cannot Delete Single Message for Deleted Items

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Cannot Delete Single Message for Deleted Items Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot Delete Single Message for Deleted Items - 5.Nov.2009 12:16:39 PM   
robertkaucher

I am having an issue to which Google has not supplied me a valid answer. We are using Exchange 2003. One of my users, the President of the company of course, has a single message in his delted items which cannot be moved, opened, delted (neither via delete nor shift+del).

The message is from a user who is no longer with the company and whose mailbox has been deleted. I have run the Cleanup Agent (not that I expected that to help). It looks like it is just the header and not the actual message. I have also tried ExMerge. I was able to remove everything from deleted items except that message.

Any suggestions?
Post #: 1
RE: Cannot Delete Single Message for Deleted Items - 5.Nov.2009 12:22:17 PM   
uemurad

You didn't say what happens when you attempt to delete the message.  It's only coincidence that the sender is no longer with the company.  ExMerge won't work on any corrupted message.  I'm assuming you've already tried "Empty Deleted Items Folder".  I've never run into a situation where a message couldn't be shift-deleted.

What happens if you access the user's mailbox via OWA and shift-delete?  If you are running Outlook in cache mode, perhaps it's a problem with the offline file (OST) and not the mailbox on the server.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to robertkaucher)
Post #: 2
RE: Cannot Delete Single Message for Deleted Items - 5.Nov.2009 12:37:45 PM   
robertkaucher

Dean,

Thank you for the reply. If I simply hit delete I get a "Some items Cannot be Deleted. They were either moved, already deleted, or access was denied." There is further information which I have included at the end of this message, though I do not believe it pertains.

If I try to move the item to another folder I get "Cannot move the items. The item cannot be deleted, It was either moved or already deleted, or access was denied."

----- Show Help >>>--------------
This error may be the result of trying to delete more than 4,000 messages at one time. Outlook can delete no more than 4,000 messages when it is working with a server message store.
To avoid this error, delete fewer than 4,000 messages in a single operation.
It is also possible that you do not have the appropriate permissions to delete messages. If you need to delete content from a folder owned by someone else, contact the owner of the folder to obtain the necessary permissions, or have the owner delete the content for you.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Cannot Delete Single Message for Deleted Items - 5.Nov.2009 12:44:05 PM   
uemurad

The message about deleting messages comes when you select them before deleting them - e.g. you open the folder and select (perhaps select-all with Ctrl-A).  How many messages are in the Deleted Items folder?

Anything in the Deleted Items folder can be removed all at once regardless of how many items by right-clicking on the folder in the folder list and selecting Empty Deleted Items Folder.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 4
RE: Cannot Delete Single Message for Deleted Items - 5.Nov.2009 1:07:29 PM   
robertkaucher

The messages come after I try to delete or move the message. If I try to open it I simply get a message saying the item cannot be opened.

Once the user is back I will try having him delete the message in OWA.

Also, I have purged the deleted items folder completely and the "message" is still there. When I purge via the Empty Deleted items function I get the exact same message as quoted when I try to delete the message by itself. Additionally none of the messages in the Deleted Items folder were purged when I did it via the Empty command. I had to manually delete them by selecting them and pressing delete.

< Message edited by robertkaucher -- 5.Nov.2009 1:14:46 PM >

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: Cannot Delete Single Message for Deleted Items - 5.Nov.2009 1:28:56 PM   
uemurad

Understood - let us know how the OWA test goes.  If you have permissions to the mailbox, you can also try creating an Outlook profile on a separate computer.  If the problem is in the OST file, the only thing necessary is to use a different one or none at all.  Creating a new profile will allow you to turn cache-mode off, or even if on will create a new OST file and therefore bypass the corruption.

If the corrupted message is in the mailbox on the server, then those tests will likely fail as well.  Let us know what happens and we can talk about possible resolutions.

FYI - Cleanup Agent is more for mailbox-level functions like moving or deleting.  That's why it didn't have any effect.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 6
RE: Cannot Delete Single Message for Deleted Items - 5.Nov.2009 1:37:39 PM   
robertkaucher

I received the exact same error messages in OWA. ANother user reported that she had the same problem with the message and it just "went away."

Edit: I managed to find the message in the other user's deleted items folder. So this is an issue on the server. I get the exact same errors when I try to move or delete the message in her deleted items folder.

I just tried to use MFCMapi.exe and when I click on the message I get
Error;
Code MAPI_E_CALL_FAILED == 0x80004005
Function DefaultOpenItemProp(iItem, mfcmaiDO_NOT_REQUEST_MODIFY, lppProp)
File E:\MFCMAPI\5.0.18\ContentsTaleListCtrl.cpp
Line 1331

< Message edited by robertkaucher -- 5.Nov.2009 2:07:07 PM >

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 7
RE: Cannot Delete Single Message for Deleted Items - 5.Nov.2009 3:11:03 PM   
uemurad

Since we've determined the problem is on the server, the choices for resolution get more involved.  Here's a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.

The least intrusive solution is possible if you are running Exchange Enterprise or have another local Exchange Standard server.  You'd simply move the mailbox from its current mailbox store to another.  In the process of moving the mailbox, the wizard attempts to move each item and if it can't be moved, will leave it behind.  Enterprise Edition gives you the ability to have multiple mailbox stores on the same server, otherwise another local Standard Edition server can be used.  Depending upon the size of the mailbox, I wouldn't recommend moving it across a WAN connection.  If that works, you can always move the mailbox back to its original location if you wish.  After each mailbox move, that's the time to run the Cleanup Agent.

If you don't have another mailbox store to utilize, you can export the entire mailbox to PST file using ExMerge.  Then delete the mailbox, create the mailbox, and import the messages back in.  ExMerge, like the mailbox move wizard, will give up on an individual message after a number of attempts, therefore it will be left behind.

I prefer these methods because you don't have to take an entire mailbox store offline to resolve the issue.  The individual user will not be able to connect during the moves.  If you perform a store-level repair, the entire store will be offline for hours.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Cannot Delete Single Message for Deleted Items Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter