• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cannot get IM to work!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Cannot get IM to work! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot get IM to work! - 16.Jul.2001 11:51:00 PM   
nouellette

Native WIn2k Domain.
Win2k Servers, Win2k Pro clients, all SP2.
Exchange 2000 SP1.

For the life of me I cannot get the IM portion of Exchange 2000 to work. I get authentication errors left and right. I've followed the directions to a T and even reinstalled the Virtual server many times with different DNS names...still CANNOT log on.

I've installed a virtual server called INSTANT and for the DNS name of this virtual server I used INSTANT.MYDOMAIN.COM. I then went on to DNS and created a service record for INSTANT.MYDOMAIN.COM with 0, 0, 80. I can now do an NSLOOKUP in MYDOMAIN.COM and it returns this RVP record for my virtual server. I then enabled all my users to use this server...I picked the virutal server. Now...everything was in place...but I cannot authenticate onto Exchange using the MSN client portion only (not passport) using user@instant.mydomain.com and I even tried user@mydomain.com. I've even gone into IE settings and made sure my browser connection is bypassing local addresses...I've tried inputting *.mydomain.com and then even just the name of this virtual server, neither worked. Neither will authenticate. For good measure I added an alias for instant.mydomain.com to the actualy FQDN of the server hosting the virtual server. WHen that still didn't help I added another alias of the same name to the reverse lookup...nothing again. So basically I've done this by the book exactly how I should have...NSLOOKUP knows what's going on, IE is setup right, Exchange is setup right...still I cannot log on.

Post #: 1
RE: Cannot get IM to work! - 17.Jul.2001 6:36:00 PM   
alister

If it makes you feel any better, I have almost the same setup and end up with the EXACT same results. Anyone care to shed some light on this 'mysterious' application called Instant Messaging?

(in reply to nouellette)
Post #: 2
RE: Cannot get IM to work! - 17.Jul.2001 8:50:00 PM   
nouellette

Someone was kind enough to send two .avi files on the MCSE training kit that showed, step by step, in the server desktop, exactly what you do to install this...I followed the steps EXACTLY and I still cannot login or authenticate.

(in reply to nouellette)
Post #: 3
RE: Cannot get IM to work! - 18.Jul.2001 4:09:00 PM   
BenWillis

Just to let you know I have had limited success with the IM portion myself. I can get some users to autherticate and other not. I get a error in the event log saying that the user could not be matched to a logged in user.

I have also been through all of the same steps as you outlined above... Sure wish someone could shed some light on this.

Ben

(in reply to nouellette)
Post #: 4
RE: Cannot get IM to work! - 19.Jul.2001 5:41:00 PM   
nouellette

I've really done a lot of investigation on this...and I'm sure if you look at the w3 service logs in your server you'd see "SUBSCRIBE", 404 errors in the logs due to IM not matching up the users with the home servers. I have no clue why this is.

Also one thing I noticed and you guys might want to check this...when you restart your W3 services on your server...do you get an event log telling you the service stopped...then another telling you it restarted? My issue is that I never get a message that it restarted even though theres no visual indicuation that its down (no red x's or icons warning me).

(in reply to nouellette)
Post #: 5
RE: Cannot get IM to work! - 21.Jul.2001 11:01:00 AM   
Surya

Is the authentication method, for IM virtual directory in IIS, digest only?

(in reply to nouellette)
Post #: 6
RE: Cannot get IM to work! - 24.Jul.2001 11:26:00 PM   
nouellette

anonymouse, digested and integrated are all selected

(in reply to nouellette)
Post #: 7
RE: Cannot get IM to work! - 25.Jul.2001 5:14:00 PM   
Surya

Try with only with digest method

(in reply to nouellette)
Post #: 8
RE: Cannot get IM to work! - 25.Jul.2001 8:33:00 PM   
When i set up IM on exchange 2000 i only used the user name to log in to the service and it run fine.

I had the problems initially with my server - i also found it easier to give my virtual server an IP address rather than a FQDN.

(in reply to nouellette)
  Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Cannot get IM to work! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter