• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cannot receive email from hotmail

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Cannot receive email from hotmail Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot receive email from hotmail - 22.Nov.2007 10:47:39 PM   
josh81

Dear all,

We seem to be having problems receiving emails from hotmail.
Sending mail from our side to hotmail worked fine however.

I have tested with yahoo and gmail and they all send fine. internally sending and receiving also works fine.

The error message received by the hotmail sender is:

Reporting-MTA: dns;bay0-omc2-s4.bay0.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;BAY127-W33
Arrival-Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 23:08:02 -0800
Final-Recipient: rfc822;xxxx@xxxx.xxx.xx
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 Transaction Failed (650058837:169:-2147467259)

Have never had this problem previously - it is a new problem.

The only thing that happened recently with exchange was that we got some IT engineers to trouble shoot our OWA problem recently - they might have done something with IIS, maybe reinstall the service or something.

Sorry, am pretty new to exchange and this is as much infomation I could gather at the moment. If further information is required, I will try my best to provide.

Am hoping someone can help with this problem.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 23.Nov.2007 12:20:57 AM   
rishishah

Generally the error code 550

- Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable.

If you know how to get to the IMF (Spam filter in Exchange) you can check to see if changing tthis makes any difference.

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

(in reply to josh81)
Post #: 2
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 23.Nov.2007 5:16:58 PM   
uemurad

Does it matter who the hotmail user sends the message to - in other words, does it fail regardless of which valid address in your organization he/she sends it to?

Does it matter if a different hotmail user address sends a message - in other words, is it possible that you are blocking all hotmail or just that single address?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to josh81)
Post #: 3
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 26.Nov.2007 12:44:28 PM   
TCARobb

I am not the original poster, but I am having the same issue.

In my case, this is a new issue, and seems to have begun over the Thanksgiving holiday. Any email sent to any user in my system gets the post master response.

Additionally, I have attempted sending from three seperate hotmail addresses, all three addresses get the same error.

In my case I have the Sonicwall Email Security device located between the internet and my Exchange server. Judging by the logs in the security device no emails from hotmail are arriving. I added hotmail.com as a safe domain, and that made no difference.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I rebooted the firewall and email security device this morning. I will reboot the Exchange server if necessary as well.

Thanks for any ideas.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 4
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 26.Nov.2007 1:08:02 PM   
adam99

We have the same issue.  Email from Sympatico (hosted by Hotmail) or Hotmail is bounced back.

We have tried from several Hotmail accounts to several internal email accounts, all get the same error.

Thanks,
Adam

(in reply to TCARobb)
Post #: 5
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 26.Nov.2007 1:27:54 PM   
mazhaddad

We are having the same problem receiving emails from MSN or Hotmail.  We noticed the issue this morning but it may have started a couple of days ago.  Has anyone seen a response from Hotmail or Microsoft to the issue?

(in reply to adam99)
Post #: 6
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 26.Nov.2007 5:15:52 PM   
Silver_Bullet

We too have noticed the same for emails originating from hotmail. What appears to be happening is that hotmail is now performing Outbound SMTP scanning against Reverse DNS Block Lists. So if your external DNS server doesn't have PTR records for your domain then the message will be blocked.

I checked the domain that we noticed it on at this website and found that this domain is listed on only one of the 23 or 24 checked. The one it was listed on is the one that performs the reverse dns lookup.

Just enter your IP address that is associated with your mail server and it will do the rest.
http://www.kloth.net/services/dnsbl.php

Check your's and post back if your results are the same.

(in reply to josh81)
Post #: 7
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 26.Nov.2007 5:30:57 PM   
mazhaddad

I checked my server's IP address and it does not appear on any of the black lists so I would assume that it should be ok. 

(in reply to Silver_Bullet)
Post #: 8
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 26.Nov.2007 5:49:31 PM   
TCARobb

My server did not show up on any of the 24 lists. The domain is 3creek.com, the IP 64.78.232.110.

I'm really at a loss. Any ideas?

Post #: 9
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 26.Nov.2007 5:58:02 PM   
Silver_Bullet

Well that kinda blows that theory away then. TCARobb, your reverse dns lookups resolves to mail.3creek.com as it should. So it can't be that.

[sarcasm]One solution would be to tell people to not use hotmail [/sarcasm]

(in reply to TCARobb)
Post #: 10
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 26.Nov.2007 8:34:18 PM   
pnatti

I am also not the original poster of this issue. 

I have one user in my organization who is using MSN for email.  He never had a problem sending to the users of our domain website until the Friday after Thanksgiving.  This is an example of the error message he gets: 

Reporting-MTA: dns;bay0-omc2-s36.bay0.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;BAY116-W19
Arrival-Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:46:32 -0800
Final-Recipient: rfc822;*****@
holyfamilycapeann.org
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 Transaction Failed (650058837:169:-2147467259)

I just sent this to tech support at our mail hosting site.  When I receive a solution I'll share it.

PAN

(in reply to TCARobb)
Post #: 11
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 26.Nov.2007 9:20:51 PM   
josh81

Hi uemurad,

Apologies for the late reply.

Regarding the following questions -

quote:

Does it matter who the hotmail user sends the message to - in other words, does it fail regardless of which valid address in your organization he/she sends it to?

It doesn't seem to matter which email in the organization it is sent to, as long as it is a hotmail account, it always seem to bounce and get an error message (see original post)

quote:

Does it matter if a different hotmail user address sends a message - in other words, is it possible that you are blocking all hotmail or just that single address?

We have tried with a few different hotmail accounts, and all have the same problem delivering email to their recipients in our organization.

It seems this problem has recently just resurfaced, judging from the munber of posts that have been posted about this problem recently?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 12
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 26.Nov.2007 9:31:06 PM   
josh81

Hi Silver_Bullet,

Thanks for the suggestion -I've tried checking, but our IP address is not listed in any of the DNS Block Lists.

I'm seriously wondering what is up with hotmail.

Post #: 13
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 11:14:32 AM   
TCARobb

I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's some kind of setting on our ends (the receiving end).

Would the rest of you mind sharing your configuration? Like I mentioned, I've got a Sonicwall Email Security device in front of my email server. Other than that, I don't see anything strange about my configuration.

Just trying to brainstorm.

(in reply to josh81)
Post #: 14
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 12:02:37 PM   
TCARobb

Finally a bit of information!

I verified that no attempts from hotmail were getting to my Exchange server, nor to my Email Security device. So I looked at my firewall, and I see a number of these errors in my logs:

11/27/2007 09:30:54.224
UDP packet dropped
65.54.227.141, 3544, WAN
64.78.232.110, 46669, WAN
UDP Port: 46669

11/27/2007 09:47:27.528
UDP packet dropped
65.54.227.141, 3544, WAN
64.78.232.110, 50889, WAN
UDP Port: 50889

Those IP addresses show as being Microsoft IPs, but as far as I can tell they are not the MX record for hotmail.com. Is it possible that it's actually OUR side that's stopping them from sending?

I'm not a networking guy, so if any of you are, your input would be appreciated.

(in reply to TCARobb)
Post #: 15
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 1:37:32 PM   
mazhaddad

It looks like Hotmail just fixed the issue.  I was able to send an email from Hotmail to my Exchange server.  Can some of you verify that it is fixed as well?

(in reply to TCARobb)
Post #: 16
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 1:38:37 PM   
TCARobb

It's still busted for me.

(in reply to mazhaddad)
Post #: 17
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 2:19:10 PM   
adam99

Not working for me either.

(in reply to TCARobb)
Post #: 18
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 3:26:17 PM   
cappper

I am new to this thread but I too am having similar issues.

< Message edited by cappper -- 27.Nov.2007 3:27:35 PM >

(in reply to adam99)
Post #: 19
RE: Cannot receive email from hotmail - 27.Nov.2007 3:31:27 PM   
mazhaddad

Although I can now send email from my Hotmail account to my Exchange server, another Hotmail user is still having problems sending to the same Exchange server.  My guess at this point is that Hotmail has a DNS problem and is not resolving correctly on some of its servers but that updates are happening and will propagate to the rest of them eventually.

If anyone on this forum would like me to send them a test message, send me a private message with and email address and I will do so.

(in reply to cappper)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Cannot receive email from hotmail Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter