• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cannot send / receive external emails.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Cannot send / receive external emails. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot send / receive external emails. - 20.Dec.2010 11:19:20 PM   
mgroms

Hey guys....Can you pls let me know the steps to follow to configure Exchange 2007 SP1 to send/receive external emails.

Steps I did -
1. Create a Receive connector & enabled annonymous users
2. Add the accepted domains
3. Create a Send connector
4. Install the Exchange 2007 anti-spam agents

When I tried to send email from outlook, I am getting error - " This message has not yet been delivered. Microsoft Exchange will continue to try delivering the message on your behalf ".
can you guys let me know if I need to do anyother additional steps.....
Post #: 1
RE: Cannot send / receive external emails. - 21.Dec.2010 12:32:31 AM   
praveenbalan

hope you have did the DNS configuration correctly and the firewall rules for the exchange servers at your network side.

follow this - http://www.petri.co.il/configuring-exchange-2007-send-external-email.htm

you will  have the article how to configure receive connector at the bottom of this article..

Rgds/Praveen
http://www.exchangedictionary.com
MCSA- Messaging,
MCTS- Exchange 2010,2007
MCTS - AD 2008

(in reply to mgroms)
Post #: 2
RE: Cannot send / receive external emails. - 21.Dec.2010 5:22:42 PM   
mgroms

Yes I have done the DNS configuration correctly. For firewall rules, I followed this article - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb331973(EXCHG.80).aspx 
also I have followed the same steps from the link that you have mailed me....

* other information I wanted to let you know is that I am doing this in the lab environment using 32 bit Server App. Is there any other steps I need to do.

* I can send email between Client Outlook. But when I send email to the external email, NDR is getting generated. Any other steps please let me know.

(in reply to praveenbalan)
Post #: 3
RE: Cannot send / receive external emails. - 7.Jan.2011 3:53:00 AM   
adrian.pettitt

How have you configured your Send Connector.
What settings are coinfigured?

Adrian

(in reply to mgroms)
Post #: 4
RE: Cannot send / receive external emails. - 7.Jan.2011 10:55:00 AM   
mgroms

Hey Adrian,

Thanks for your reply. I can send mails internally with the server and clients. But I couldn't send external emails. I researched and came to know from the link that I have pasted below that I have register my domain in order to get external MX record. So I am planning to do it & then I am going to try again. (Or if there is any other way, please give me your input as well), hoping to see your message -

http://www.networksteve.com/exchange/topic.php/Cant_receive_mails_from_external_domain_like_yahoo/?TopicId=16733&Posts=3

Regards,
VT

(in reply to adrian.pettitt)
Post #: 5
RE: Cannot send / receive external emails. - 10.Jan.2011 5:51:20 AM   
adrian.pettitt

You most definitely require an MX record, but before that you need to "own" the domain you are using. Have you done that?
Some domains will accept email from you without and MX record, but many will  not. You will not be able to receive without one. If the domain you are using is already owned by someone else then they will receive email you expect to receive.

Once you have done that you may still need to verify your send connector.
The article seems generally accurate although allebone does not cover all the details and much depends on your ISP and their configuration.

Adrian

(in reply to mgroms)
Post #: 6
RE: Cannot send / receive external emails. - 10.Jan.2011 1:23:02 PM   
mgroms

Hey Adrian,
Yes I have a domain set up in server 2008....like say for example mydomain.com & I have joined the client computers in that, also can send and receive internal emails successfully. Will it be sufficient to register my domain externally. Do u have any article to verify the send connector? In the mean time I will also research online. Hoping to see your message.

Post #: 7
RE: Cannot send / receive external emails. - 11.Jan.2011 12:52:32 AM   
adrian.pettitt

Should have been clearer about the domain.
The domain I am talking about is the Internet domain name, not AD. Before you can setup an MX record you must "own" the Internet Domain name. If you have a website with a proper domain name then you should be able to have an MX record for that.

Adrian

(in reply to mgroms)
Post #: 8
RE: Cannot send / receive external emails. - 11.Jan.2011 12:26:49 PM   
mgroms

Yes Adrian I read about that. But I have a doubt here though.....if I register my AD domain with some external website which will allow me to register and maintain - like one that is mentioned in the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300684 under the heading DNS name registration with an Internet registrar...I checked online Google is doing that....I need your assistance and feedback please.

For example, as I have mentioned, I have a AD - DNS set up for my domain mydomain.com & if I register with google will I get external MX record.....hoping to see your reply.

Post #: 9
RE: Cannot send / receive external emails. - 13.Jan.2011 3:25:47 AM   
adrian.pettitt

I am a little confused by what you are asking now. BUT.
You must get your domain name registered FIRST before carrying on any further. If someone else has your domain name you will then have issues about what to do afterwards, especially if you have already rolled out Exchange.

Second you need to decide what to do with your DNS records once you have the domain. You can have your own DNS server host the records for you, including DNS or you can have an external company, say your ISP, do it for you. If you do it yourself you will need a split DNS as you have AD integrated. It is not advisable to be AD integrated DNS onto the Internet. Then once you have setup your DNS you would have to propogate its authorititiveness for your domain out onto the Internet.
Based on your knowledge of DNS and the fact you have AD Integrated DNS I would suggest you get your ISP to hold your external DNS records for your domain. These would be MX and www records at least. If you have a website then I suggest you use the same company that hosts your www record to host your MX record.

I am no DNS expert, but that is the way I see it.

Adrian

(in reply to mgroms)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Cannot send / receive external emails. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter