• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cannot telnet onto port 25

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Cannot telnet onto port 25 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot telnet onto port 25 - 29.Nov.2004 12:19:00 PM   
mrbrown66

Hi guys,

Im running an Exchange 5.5 SP3 server with the Internet mail connector configured. The server is running absolutely fine, no problems with it as such.

Locally logged on the server I can telnet onto port 25 localhost, and do EHLO test messages etc. But from my own machine I cannot telnet onto it on port 25, I receive ".Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed"

Any ideas? Is there somewhere within Exchange 5.5 settings that I need to specifically allow access?

There is no firewall between myself and the mail server.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mrbrown66
Post #: 1
RE: Cannot telnet onto port 25 - 29.Nov.2004 1:22:00 PM   
mrbrown66

Just to add,

- Under connections tab the server is currently configured to accept connections all hosts
- Ive tried it from other machines on the same subnet and still the same result.
- There is definitely no firewall or router preventing access to it.

Any ideas?

(in reply to mrbrown66)
Post #: 2
RE: Cannot telnet onto port 25 - 30.Nov.2004 12:44:00 PM   
mrbrown66

Anyone?

(in reply to mrbrown66)
Post #: 3
RE: Cannot telnet onto port 25 - 8.Dec.2004 5:51:00 PM   
I am having the same exact issue. I am trying to test communication on Port 25 because of issues our Lightspeed spam filter is having when trying to forward messages to our Exchange 5.5 server.

(in reply to mrbrown66)
  Post #: 4
RE: Cannot telnet onto port 25 - 10.Dec.2004 10:34:00 PM   
rytmehans

Hi,

Could it be a name resolution problem?

Can you telnet the exchange server on port 25 by using the IP address?

If you are still receiving internet mails the server must be working.

(in reply to mrbrown66)
Post #: 5
RE: Cannot telnet onto port 25 - 15.Dec.2004 12:50:00 PM   
X_change_Admin

May be a Antivirus SW.

Example, McAfee VirusScan 8.0 prevents to send mass mailing blocking telnet to port 25.

Try disabling your Av in the client and see what happen.....

(in reply to mrbrown66)
Post #: 6
RE: Cannot telnet onto port 25 - 23.Dec.2004 1:24:00 PM   
I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I can't telent to either my ISP's mailserver or my work server from either my home server or my laptop. I noticed that I could even telnet to port 25 from my laptop connected to any network, so I figured there was something loaded on my laptop preventing the telnet connection, then I stumbled upon your post about McAfee v8.0i blocking port 25, and sure enough I had just upgrade both my laptop and home server to v8.0i, and once I unchecked the port 25 blocking, I was once again able to telnet to port 25. Thanks, and happy holiday's.

Robert

(in reply to mrbrown66)
  Post #: 7
RE: Cannot telnet onto port 25 - 5.Feb.2005 2:11:00 AM   
Magus

I also struck this problem. ISA server was restarted and McAfee 8.0i blocked port 25 on this server. This ment inbound and outbound mail stopped.

Thanks

(in reply to mrbrown66)
Post #: 8
RE: Cannot telnet onto port 25 - 14.Feb.2005 4:38:00 AM   
TamaraSJ

Thank you so much. McAfee 8.0i was the problem. It was blocking everything going out on port 25 unless the program was listed. I use a different e-mail program than most, so of course it was not listed.

Tamara

(in reply to mrbrown66)
Post #: 9
RE: Cannot telnet onto port 25 - 9.Mar.2005 10:28:00 PM   
anandtn

I was also not able to telnet to port 25 of our SMTP server. In my case the culprit was traced to a setting in the McAfee AntiVirus software that's running on my machine. After invoking the Virus Scan Console, click on the properties of Access Protection. Under the "Ports to block:" uncheck the 'Rule' against 'Port 25' that says "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail". You will then be able to telnet to the mail server on port 25.

(in reply to mrbrown66)
Post #: 10
RE: Cannot telnet onto port 25 - 12.Jan.2009 12:22:46 PM   
ariesr

Thanks for the tip!

This has been puzzling me for days!

I have an access datbase that uses smtp to send reports, and it stopped working.
This may have solved it, I'll will know in the morning.

(in reply to anandtn)
Post #: 11
RE: Cannot telnet onto port 25 - 16.Apr.2009 8:00:00 AM   
pjh43

Hi,

I still have this problem - although my server is running EX2003. I did have Mcaffee 8.0 installed this box but I removed it in favour of Groupshield. I'm able to telnet from the server itself to it's own IP/port 25 but cannot do so from a workstation on the same subnet. Our router is not interferring in fact it records the server rejecting the telent session. Any ideas?

Pete

(in reply to ariesr)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Cannot telnet onto port 25 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter