• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Centralised Company Contacts

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Centralised Company Contacts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Centralised Company Contacts - 1.Jun.2004 2:05:00 AM   
FelixKQSI

Hi,
This is just a general question to find out whether exchange is the right product to do this.
My boss wants a centralised address book containing customer contacts, etc for the entire company to use. I saw an article on this (Using public folder to store company contact).
Seems like a good idea but at the moment we're all connected to our exchange via POP3 and SMTP account. This means we're treating our exchange box as a POP3 and SMTP server, which I think is a great waste.
I didn't realise at first that you need to configure your e-mail account to an exchange server type before the public folder will appear. Now, the question,
1.)If I create an exchange server account in my outlook, does it mean the e-mail will all be downloaded into my box? (like POP3) Or will it be stored in the server?
2.)My boss travel quite frequently, if he use POP3 to check his e-mail, does he need to create another account for this? This means he will have duplicate e-mail, one from his exchange, one from his POP3. Is this correct?
3.)What about LDAP? Is this applicable?
4.)What solution would you recommend?

Thank you heaps

[ June 01, 2004, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: FelixKQSI ]
Post #: 1
RE: Centralised Company Contacts - 1.Jun.2004 9:16:00 PM   
ajhugo

1.)If I create an exchange server account in my outlook, does it mean the e-mail will all be downloaded into my box? (like POP3) Or will it be stored in the server?

No, not if you set outlook to leave a copy of the message on the server. This is under the advanced settings on the e-mail account. This will download a local copy and leave the original intact on the server

2.)My boss travel quite frequently, if he use POP3 to check his e-mail, does he need to create another account for this? This means he will have duplicate e-mail, one from his exchange, one from his POP3. Is this correct?
3.)What about LDAP? Is this applicable?
4.)What solution would you recommend?

You can resolve this by using OWA. But if you do make sure you set it up to use SSL to secure your e-mail. By using OWA you will then also have access to your public folders and any shared contact lists you have stored in them. And there is no configuration needed as users can access thier mail from any web browser

(in reply to FelixKQSI)
Post #: 2
RE: Centralised Company Contacts - 2.Jun.2004 1:32:00 AM   
FelixKQSI

Thanks for the reply ajhugo,
In regards to centralised company contact, do you think LDAP is applicable?
What solution would you recommend for centralised company contact that integrates with outlook?
So that when user clicks the To button it show users a centralised contact where users can add, edit and maybe delete contacts in there.

Thanks.

(in reply to FelixKQSI)
Post #: 3
RE: Centralised Company Contacts - 2.Jun.2004 2:13:00 AM   
ajhugo

The best solution is to use Public Folders to store contacts. Those with the proper rights to the folder can add, edit and delete the contacts as needed. They will also be able to see that contact in the pull down menu under contacts.

(in reply to FelixKQSI)
Post #: 4
RE: Centralised Company Contacts - 16.Aug.2012 8:35:40 AM   
mbernardo

With the Public Folders solution, are we able to use an LDAP client to view the contacts? We have employees and contractors using different machines (XP, Vista, Mac OS X) so we would like to use LDAP to view the contacts.

(in reply to ajhugo)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Centralised Company Contacts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter