• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Clean Mailbox Option in Exch2k

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Clean Mailbox Option in Exch2k Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Clean Mailbox Option in Exch2k - 25.Sep.2002 3:45:00 PM   
Taruka

People,

There used to be an option to clean a user his mailbox without the need to open it. In Exchange 5.5 you selected the mailbox and from the Tools menu you could clean it.

Is that option still available in Exchange 2000? I have looked in both the AD for Users and Computers and System Manager but I can't find the option.

Cheers
Post #: 1
RE: Clean Mailbox Option in Exch2k - 26.Sep.2002 7:02:00 AM   
pnagaev

Using AD for Users and Computers you can erase user mailbox and create it again.

(in reply to Taruka)
Post #: 2
RE: Clean Mailbox Option in Exch2k - 26.Sep.2002 9:35:00 AM   
Taruka

Thank you for your answer. But deleting the mailbox and recreating it is a bit too much at this time. It happens that we want to clean only the items after a certain date and size. Or only zap the task items. The clean inbox option could do this.

(in reply to Taruka)
Post #: 3
RE: Clean Mailbox Option in Exch2k - 26.Sep.2002 10:10:00 AM   
pnagaev

Try to use exmerge to clean mailbox after determine data.

(in reply to Taruka)
Post #: 4
RE: Clean Mailbox Option in Exch2k - 26.Sep.2002 2:05:00 PM   
Taruka

I have found several ways to eventually end up cleaning the mailbox, also the suggested ExMerge and Full Access on the mailbox, but it is more work than the clean option. Looking at the answers I can be sure that I did not miss the option. It is probably no longer available.

Thanks,

(in reply to Taruka)
Post #: 5
RE: Clean Mailbox Option in Exch2k - 26.Sep.2002 3:17:00 PM   
space

Taruka
Just making sure that you are aware of the Mailbox MAnagement process that is a part of Ex2000...
Thats how we clean them here.

(in reply to Taruka)
Post #: 6
RE: Clean Mailbox Option in Exch2k - 26.Sep.2002 6:07:00 PM   
Taruka

Indeed, just to make sure. ;-) What do you mean with the mailbox management process? I am aware of the process of cleaning a complete mailbox, like deleting the mailbox and recreating it. But that is not what I want. Is there the a way to clean a mailbox in the same way it was possible within the Exchange 5.5 Administrator? Like, remotely select the box and only delete the contacts? Is that possible with your mailbox management process.

(in reply to Taruka)
Post #: 7
RE: Clean Mailbox Option in Exch2k - 27.Sep.2002 7:24:00 PM   
space

Yes, I could do that.
In the ESM (Exchange System Manager), expand the recipients folder. Right-click on Recipient Polocies and select New-Recipient Policy.
A box will come up with 2 options, E-Mail addreses or Mailbox Manager settings.
Chose Mailbox manager settings.
On the General tab, give it a name.
ex:Delete Contacts
On this same window is where you tell the policy what mailboxes you want to do this to.
For example, on the one I set up for the weekly mailbox cleanup agent, I clicked the Modify button, the find selection says exchange recipients, the only checked box was "Users with Exchange mailbox". On the advanced tab I selected User-Custom Attribute 1, "is-not" for the condition, and "noclean" for the value.
On the next tab you can tell it to delete contacts or whatever you want.

With the example I gave you, I needed to exclude some mailboxes from the cleaning process, so in order for it to work, for the users that do not want their mailboxes cleaned, I go into the User properties, and in the "Exchange Advanced" tab, give the extension attribute1 a value of noclean.
So when my mailbox manager runs, according to the way it is set up, if a user has custom attribute 1 set to noclean, it will be skipped, because it only does mailboxes where attribute 1 IS NOT noclean. I'm sure there's many different ways to create the filter, if you needed to do just 1 mailbox, you could use the e-mail address or display name, etc...

I hope this makes sense and I'm not just rambling...

When you're in the Filter rules window, you can click on Find Now to confirm that it is going to do the mailbox(es)you want.

In order to run the policy, you can set it on the properties page of the server on the Mailbox management tab. Alternately you can run it immediately by right-clicking on the server and selecting "Start Mailbox Management Process"
(although I havn't tested this to run it immediately)

Hope this is what you were wanting to do.
From what you said I think it will do exactly what you want.
[Cool]
If you have any questions, you can e-mail me directly at space_case@yahoo.com

(in reply to Taruka)
Post #: 8
RE: Clean Mailbox Option in Exch2k - 1.Oct.2002 10:43:00 AM   
Taruka

Give this guy a cigare. That is the one I was looking for. A good one...

Thanks,

(in reply to Taruka)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Clean Mailbox Option in Exch2k Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter