• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cluster Resource DTC failed

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Cluster Resource DTC failed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cluster Resource DTC failed - 23.Dec.2009 5:10:08 PM   
scott@benpor.com

I have two Exchange 2010 Standard servers on Server 2008R2 Enterprise servers.

In the Cluster Manager-Cluster Core Resources it shows that the DTC is failed and it will not come back on-line.

I am getting the following error messages in the event logs:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering
Date: 12/23/2009 1:45:53 PM
Event ID: 1069
Task Category: Resource Control Manager
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: computer name
Description:
Cluster resource 'DTC' in clustered service or application 'Cluster Group' failed.

and
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering
Date: 12/23/2009 1:45:53 PM
Event ID: 1205
Task Category: Resource Control Manager
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer:
Description:
The Cluster service failed to bring clustered service or application 'Cluster Group' completely online or offline. One or more resources may be in a failed state. This may impact the availability of the clustered service or application.

any help will beappreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Cluster Resource DTC failed - 24.Dec.2009 1:46:44 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

Which dependencies are set on DTC ? Sometimes the dependencies can cause the failing of dtc.

Are there any events logged then the one you mentioned earlier ?

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to scott@benpor.com)
Post #: 2
RE: Cluster Resource DTC failed - 13.Jan.2010 5:57:22 PM   
scott@benpor.com

The dependencies are the File Share Witness and the Cluster Name.  Both of which are up.  The Critical event is Event ID 1069.  I also found error 4100 source MSDTC Client 2.  Attempt to find the drive letter corresponding to the cluster DTC's dependent disk resource has failed.  The error code returned: 0x800710DC

And I also found error 4098 Source MSDTC Cleint 2 Contact = MSDTC was deleted successfully. Attempt to copy the new contact = MSDTC over it failed. The DTC configuration may be corrupted. The operation that failed must be retried. The error code returned: 0x80070002

Is this resource even necessary for and Exchange 2010 DAG?

Thanks again for looking and helping.

Scott

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 3
RE: Cluster Resource DTC failed - 18.Jan.2010 6:57:09 PM   
scott@benpor.com

When I do a Failover Cluster Validation Report I get the following:

Failover Cluster Validation ReportValidate Resource Status
    Validate that cluster resources are online, and list the cluster resources that are running in separate resource monitors.Validating cluster resource IP Address: 192.168.x.xValidating cluster resource Name: DAG.Validating cluster resource DTC.This resource has a dependency configuration that does not include a Network Name and Physical Disk resource. This resource type is usually dependent on at least one Network Name and at least one Physical Disk resource. This setting may be acceptable if this cluster has a specific configuration requirement. An example may be a cluster using a storage resource type other than 'Physical Disk'. The dependencies for this resource can be changed through Failover Cluster Manager by clicking on the resource and selecting 'Properties', then choosing the 'Dependencies' tab.This resource is marked with a state of 'Failed' instead of 'Online'. This failed state indicates that the resource had a problem either coming online or had a failure while it was online. The event logs and cluster logs may have information that is helpful in identifying the cause of the failure.Validating cluster resource File Share Witness

From what I have read the DTC is supposed to have a disk resource but there is not one configured here.  Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

Post #: 4
RE: Cluster Resource DTC failed - 19.Jan.2010 3:32:16 PM   
scott@benpor.com

Fixed!

I called Microsoft and they said that the DTC should not have been there in the first place. So I removed the DTC. But we could not figure out why it had come up. Creating a DAG does not create a DTC in the Failover Cluster Configuration.

Investigation found that it was the attempted installation of the backup software (Acronis 9.x) used by the management agent (Kaseya) that is used on the servers. The backup agent never completed sucessfully so it didn't show up in the Programs-Uninstall control panel. But it did create the DTC when I attempted a re-install of the backup software. So I simply removed the DTC again and everything is working fine. No more error messages in the logs.

I hope someone finds this post helpful.

Scott

Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Cluster Resource DTC failed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter