• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Connect Two exchange servers

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Connect Two exchange servers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Connect Two exchange servers - 31.May2010 10:41:11 AM   
magnitude2007

This forum helped me to install the exchange server. Now i stuck at somewhere. I installed exchange 2003 on Windows server 2003 on 2 diffrent domains abc.com and xyz.com. I want to connect my two exchanger servers so anyone can send mail to each other

My first domain configuration is
Domain name - abc.com
FQDN Names - mail.abc.com
ip - 192.168.1.1
gateway - 192.168.1.1
dns - 192.168.1.1

I setup forward and reverse lookup zones for FQDN name and succesfully resolves the hostname to ip and ip to hostname
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second domain config is
Domain name - xyz.com
FQDN Names - mail.xyz.com
ip - 192.168.1.2
gateway - 192.168.1.2
dns - 192.168.1.2

Dns configured to resolve host names

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I made smtp connector and address space on both side
In abc
SMTP - Forward all mails to [192.168.1.2]
Brighead server: MAIL
Address Space : @xyz.com

In xyz
SMTP - Forward all mails to [192.168.1.1]
Brighead server : MAIL.
Address space : @abc.com

Now if user@abc.com sends mail to user@xyz then the user@abc receives the mail from itself
I m confused

< Message edited by magnitude2007 -- 31.May2010 10:42:54 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Connect Two exchange servers - 31.May2010 10:56:26 AM   
uemurad

Since you've created two separate domains (and presumably they are in separate Exchange Organizations), you have two choices.  Either allow the messages to be routed to the Internet and back in, or create SMTP connectors to deliver the messages directly.

Routing via the Internet means both domains have to be registered and have MX records that point to public IP addresses.  Since the addresses you list are all private addresses, I'm assuming that this has not been done.

Routing via SMTP connectors in this case means each Exchange Organization has a way to point traffic directly to an address.  That means each Org has a connector which names the other SMTP domain in its address space, and the opposite private IP address as its Smarthost address.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to magnitude2007)
Post #: 2
RE: Connect Two exchange servers - 31.May2010 2:05:19 PM   
magnitude2007

Thanx uemurad.
I configured the SMTP on both ends. I entered xyz.com in the address space of abc.com also the private ip of abc.com and entered abc.com in the adress space of xyz.com also the private ip of xyz.com

Do i need to configure anything more ? or this is fine ?  do i need to make trusts in between diff domains ?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Connect Two exchange servers - 31.May2010 2:23:30 PM   
uemurad

quote:

Do i need to configure anything more ?
If you are only trying to send messages back and forth, that should all you need to do.
quote:

do i need to make trusts in between diff domains ?
Trusts are an Active Directory function, not messaging.  Trusts are needed if one AD forest needs to look at the other for any particular reason.  Just as you don't need to have any trust for you to send messages to Yahoo or Gmail, you don't need any to have the two SMTP domains send messages back and forth.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 4
RE: Connect Two exchange servers - 31.May2010 2:58:24 PM   
magnitude2007

I still dont figure out where is the problem.
The abc.com sends mail only to abc.com users and xyz sends mail only to xyz.com users

1. DNS is configured properly on both sides
2. I made SMTP connectors and the opposite ip in the smart host
3 .Add the Opposite domain name is the address space in the SMTP connector
     eg. ABC.COM has xyz.com in its address space and XYZ.COM has    abc.com in its address space.
Where i missed ?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: Connect Two exchange servers - 31.May2010 6:24:28 PM   
uemurad

Did you create/edit any Recipient Policy on either side naming the other domain?  It sounds like you want to treat the two SMTP domains as separate entities, so you don't want to include them in the Recipient Policies.

Next, use Message Tracking to see what Exchange is trying to do with a message headed to the other domain.

Next, enable and search the SMTP logs to see what is happening with Exchange-to-Exchange communication.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 6
RE: Connect Two exchange servers - 1.Jun.2010 1:54:38 AM   
magnitude2007

Thank you so much uemurad. You saved me.
The problem was i edited the receiptent policy and included the SMTP Domain of other domain. Now every user can send mail to diffrent domains.

uemurad what is use of receptent policy ? In what scenario we need to edit that policy ?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 7
RE: Connect Two exchange servers - 1.Jun.2010 2:15:44 AM   
magnitude2007

uemurad
Domain xyz.com receives the mail from abc.com but when xyz.com send the mail to abc.com nothin happens either xyz doesnt receives the un deliver message. abc.com gets the mail only from their user. They can telnet each other  on port 25

< Message edited by magnitude2007 -- 1.Jun.2010 2:18:14 AM >

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 8
RE: Connect Two exchange servers - 1.Jun.2010 9:57:29 AM   
uemurad

quote:

what is use of receptent policy ? In what scenario we need to edit that policy ?
The Recipient Policy serves three major purposes. First, it stamps AD objects with Email addresses according to a format formula. Second, it can be used to define Mailbox Management parameters (to report on and/or automatically purge messages based on size or age). Third, and what applies to your situation, is that it tells Exchange which SMTP domain names for which the Organization is responsible.

If you add a second SMTP domain to the policy then tell Exchange it is responsible, any messages addressed to that other domain will stay internal to the Organization as opposed to routing outside the Organization.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 9
RE: Connect Two exchange servers - 1.Jun.2010 9:59:31 AM   
uemurad

quote:

Domain xyz.com receives the mail from abc.com but when xyz.com send the mail to abc.com nothin happens either xyz doesnt receives the un deliver message. abc.com gets the mail only from their user.
Since you have two separate Exchange Organizations, you need to look at the Recipient Policies in each.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Connect Two exchange servers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter