• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Creating 2 site DAG for failover

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Creating 2 site DAG for failover Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Creating 2 site DAG for failover - 5.Jun.2011 10:49:56 PM   
corpcomp

Hi all, I've been researching setting up a DAG for my company and have a few things I need clarification on.

Basically what I'm trying to achieve is this. I have 2 AD sites connected via the WAN (both with static IP's) and I want an Exchange server at each site that houses all roles and I want to setup a DAG with the 2 of them. I know there needs to be a witness server included in the DAG, does this need to be at the primary site or can it be at the backup site? Once the DAG is configured, I change my internal DNS so that the mail record points to the IP of the DAG itself, can I also setup my external MX records so the primary record points to the main site, and the secondary record points to the secondary site in the event that primary site loses power, secondary site takes over and mail flows through as normal? I may not be explaining this very clearly or providing enough information so please let me know if anything else is needed.

Cheers,
Luke.
Post #: 1
RE: Creating 2 site DAG for failover - 5.Jun.2011 11:08:49 PM   
trev

I'm in the process of doing much the same thing.

For FSW placement have a look at the following link (DAG Witness Server and Witness Directory Section):
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd298065.aspx

Regarding your DNS records, you don't want to point to the IP of the DAG, you want to point to the IP of the Hub Transport servers.

(in reply to corpcomp)
Post #: 2
RE: Creating 2 site DAG for failover - 8.Jun.2011 12:13:27 AM   
corpcomp

Ok, so here's what I've got at the moment.

Currently I have an Exchange 2007 server at Site A with 1 mailbox database. I have built 2 Exchange 2010 servers with all roles, 1 being at Site A and the other being at Site B. I've created a DAG and used a file server at Site B as the witness server. I have also created seperate databases, one for Site A and one for Site B, and configured so that Site A's database is active at Site A and passive at Site B and vice versa.

1. Should I setup my MX records so that first preference is Site A and second preference is Site B or should it be round robin?

2. If Site A internet goes down, Site B should automatically fail over if I'm correct, but if Site B goes down then Site A won't failover as it can't contact the witness server. How can I configure this so failover works automatically at both sites? If not possible, can it be made manual so if one site goes down I can log in and activate the other site?

3. What address should RPC clients be pointing their Outlook too? (if I'm using round robin for my MX records then I assume it stays the same)

4. Do I need to purchase another SSL certificate for the second exchange server or do they share the 1?

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me on this :)

(in reply to trev)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Creating 2 site DAG for failover Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter