• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

DAG 2010 questions

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> DAG 2010 questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DAG 2010 questions - 9.May2011 3:31:49 PM   
neeper67

I have just implemented an exchange 2010 server who has the mailbox, cas and hub roles installed. I have also implemented a webmail server who only has exchange 2010 with the cas role.

I also have an exchange 2003 server which I am trying to transition mailboxes off to the 2010 once I get it setup properly.

I am looking to implement DAG.

My main 2010 server has windows 2008 enterprise and my 2010 webmail server has windows 2008 enterprise also.

Does everything have to be an exact mirror for DAG to work? I have my main server as physical and my webmail server as virtural. My main server has 16GB of Ram and my webmail has 8GB of ram.

Are there any other considerations I have to worry about?
Post #: 1
RE: DAG 2010 questions - 9.May2011 3:38:13 PM   
de.blackman

DAG is high availability feature for the mailbox role so with your current setup you cannot implement DAG, unless you install the mailbox role on the CAS server as well. Yes the operating systems, the exchange versions and the drive (storage) configurations must be identical on both servers.I have never implemented a DAG between physical and virtual so I do not know if it will give you problems down the line. I definitely recommend having equal RAM amounts per server.

Another thing to be concerned about is that the CAS roles will not be load balanced and will not provide high availability in your design. In order for that to be done, this role must be seperated from the mailbox role simply because Windows NLB and DAG cannot coexist on the same servers! Instead you can use hardware load balancer for the CAS high availability.

< Message edited by de.blackman -- 9.May2011 3:39:56 PM >

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to neeper67)
Post #: 2
RE: DAG 2010 questions - 9.May2011 3:41:15 PM   
neeper67

are there any side effects from having the mailbox role on the webmail server?

I was thinking of having them independant, but now I think I am forced to have the role on both servers if I want to use DAG.

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3
RE: DAG 2010 questions - 10.May2011 8:16:39 AM   
de.blackman

Please do not consider the CAS role as only the webmail server (this is not Exchange 2003 and the CAS role is not a front-end server). The CAS role is responsible for all types of client connections internally or externally. Combining the mailbox roles, hub transport and client access is known as a typical exchange installation and is a perfectly fine setup and configuration.

You can place the roles on different servers but as you have realized, DAG requires multiple servers running the mailbox role. If you can get more servers to install the roles then you can seperate them.

< Message edited by de.blackman -- 10.May2011 8:27:26 AM >

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to neeper67)
Post #: 4
RE: DAG 2010 questions - 10.May2011 9:35:21 AM   
neeper67

Great Thanks for the help!!

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> DAG 2010 questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter