• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

DAG in Exchange 2010

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> DAG in Exchange 2010 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DAG in Exchange 2010 - 7.Oct.2011 5:53:04 AM   
deniscat

Hello,

I am a newbie here and Exchange.

My boss wants me to setup a 2nd Exchange 2010 box in our corporate office. he'd like me to set something up that will make Exchange highly available to our users even if our main site fails. Eventually we will have one exchange server on each remote site (2 in corporate office). We have three sites, a corporate office, remote sites New York and California.

The corporate site is where our datacenter is located and where I'm planning to have the second exchange server. The 2 sites are New york and California.

How can I setup Exchange 2010 on each site so that even if one of any sites go down email will still be accessible to both local (corporate office) Outlook users and remote site users and OWA/Blackberry users?
I'm not sure where and how to start and go about making this all work across three sites.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Dennis
Post #: 1
RE: DAG in Exchange 2010 - 11.Oct.2011 10:51:21 AM   
hpeter

Did you install another exchange server 2010 yet or not?

Can you access the server using remote desktop from your LAN?

Do you have any firewall installed ? If yes! is that firewall configured to let the SMTP traffic through?

(in reply to deniscat)
Post #: 2
RE: DAG in Exchange 2010 - 20.Oct.2011 10:45:08 AM   
shanmarsh1

I have Storegrid 3.5 sp1 installed on a Exchange 2010 stand alone that is working great. But i'm building a new Exchange 2010 DAG

(in reply to deniscat)
Post #: 3
RE: DAG in Exchange 2010 - 25.Oct.2011 4:12:18 AM   
kathiny

DAGs use a subset of Windows Failover Clustering technologies, namely, the cluster heartbeat, cluster networks, and the cluster database (for storing data that changes or can change quickly).

Because DAGs rely on Windows Failover Clustering, they can only be created on Exchange 2010 Enterprise Edition Mailbox servers that are running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise or Windows Server 2008 Datacenter. In addition, each Mailbox server in the DAG must have at least two network interface cards in order to be supported.

When a DAG is formed, the failover cluster that is created will initially use the Node Majority quorum mode. When the second Mailbox server is added to the DAG, the cluster quorum is automatically changes to the Node and File Share Majority quorum model. When this change occurs, the DAG will begin using the specified UNC path and directory for the cluster quorum. If the specified UNC path and directory does not exist, the Add-DatabaseAvailbilityGroupServer cmdlet will automatically create them, and provision them with full control permissions for local administrators and the CNO computer account.

See this article gave me great feeling, it is worth to see.
iPhone problems solved: 6 ideas to accelerate your iOS device

(in reply to shanmarsh1)
Post #: 4
RE: DAG in Exchange 2010 - 16.Nov.2011 1:43:59 AM   
af001

e. so do i

(in reply to deniscat)
Post #: 5
RE: DAG in Exchange 2010 - 16.Nov.2011 10:25:34 AM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

ORIGINAL: kathiny

Because DAGs rely on Windows Failover Clustering, they can only be created on Exchange 2010 Enterprise Edition Mailbox servers that are running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise or Windows Server 2008 Datacenter.

This statement is wrong. The only difference between Exchange 2010 Standard and Enterprise is the number of Mailbox Databases it can host. Standard can host up to 5 databases whereas Enterprise can host up to as many as 100. So, is you want to use DAG functionality and can get by with 5 databases, Standard Edition of Exchange 2010 is fine.

< Message edited by Jesper Bernle -- 16.Nov.2011 10:29:33 AM >

(in reply to kathiny)
Post #: 6
RE: DAG in Exchange 2010 - 16.Nov.2011 10:33:56 AM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

In addition, each Mailbox server in the DAG must have at least two network interface cards in order to be supported.

This statement is wrong. Exchange 2010 SP1 DAGs are fully supported with only 1 NIC.

Some interesting reading regarding the question of One or two NICs.

(in reply to kathiny)
Post #: 7
RE: DAG in Exchange 2010 - 16.Nov.2011 10:48:00 AM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

ORIGINAL: deniscat

Hello,

I am a newbie here and Exchange.

My boss wants me to setup a 2nd Exchange 2010 box in our corporate office. he'd like me to set something up that will make Exchange highly available to our users even if our main site fails. Eventually we will have one exchange server on each remote site (2 in corporate office). We have three sites, a corporate office, remote sites New York and California.

The corporate site is where our datacenter is located and where I'm planning to have the second exchange server. The 2 sites are New york and California.

How can I setup Exchange 2010 on each site so that even if one of any sites go down email will still be accessible to both local (corporate office) Outlook users and remote site users and OWA/Blackberry users?
I'm not sure where and how to start and go about making this all work across three sites.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

It is possible to achieve this but it takes both good knowledge of the inner workings of both DAGs and Load Balancing and some careful planning, so if your up to the challange fine, but my recommendation is to hire an Exchange Server consultant with good knowledge in designing High Availability in Exchange 2010.

(in reply to deniscat)
Post #: 8
RE: DAG in Exchange 2010 - 16.Nov.2011 11:03:17 AM   
ermanishchawla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jesper Bernle

quote:

Because DAGs rely on Windows Failover Clustering, they can only be created on Exchange 2010 Enterprise Edition Mailbox servers that are running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise or Windows Server 2008 Datacenter.

To add to this all you need is Window server 2008 Enteprise Edition not Exchange 2010 Enterprise
This statement is wrong. The only difference between Exchange 2010 Standard and Enterprise is the number of Mailbox Databases it can host. Standard can host up to 5 databases whereas Enterprise can host up to as many as 100. So, is you want to use DAG functionality and can get by with 5 databases, Standard Edition of Exchange 2010 is fine.

(in reply to Jesper Bernle)
Post #: 9
RE: DAG in Exchange 2010 - 17.Nov.2011 5:22:49 AM   
Jesper Bernle

quote:

ORIGINAL: ermanishchawla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jesper Bernle

quote:

To add to this all you need is Window server 2008 Enteprise Edition not Exchange 2010 Enterprise

I thought that was what I was saying.

(in reply to ermanishchawla)
Post #: 10
RE: DAG in Exchange 2010 - 12.Dec.2011 5:03:09 AM   
rahulrao9

May be these links help you to find a solution

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123889(EXCHG.140).aspx
My thoughts goes towards SSL offloading. Just check on that if it is properly configured.
Also check on IIS settings.

Also check on these links
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124149.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb430792.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123513.aspx

Hope it helps to get few trouble shooting Ideas

In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity.

(in reply to deniscat)
Post #: 11
RE: DAG in Exchange 2010 - 12.Dec.2011 5:58:19 AM   
rahulrao9

Oops wrong thread sorry

In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity.

(in reply to rahulrao9)
Post #: 12
RE: DAG in Exchange 2010 - 13.Dec.2011 2:48:57 AM   
clementrosario

Hi Dennis,

Configure DAG and enable Datacenter Activation Mode

It helps to prevent from splitbrain syndrome, This site based redundancy helps users  to access the mail even if one site goes down.

(in reply to deniscat)
Post #: 13

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> DAG in Exchange 2010 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter