• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

DAG vs SAN replication

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> DAG vs SAN replication Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DAG vs SAN replication - 14.Sep.2011 11:52:51 AM   
rsblind

I'm migrating my Exchange 2007 environment over to 2010. Im at the point now of database setup/design. I have one primary HQ site that all my other branch offices connect to for email with 20 seperate databases broken up by office location. Currently for DR, I am using SCR to get the databases to our DR location.

My 2007 setup is primarily on physical servers.

For 2010 we all virtualized on a Dell Equalogic SAN. One of the selling points on this was that we could snapshot/replicate the mailbox server and databases to the DR site in clean state and recover quickly. Not site resiliance per se but DR and up and running in a few hours with little data loss. AND without having to bring the database back from a dirty state as with SCR.
We are dabating this but we are having issues in database setup restrictions and not sure if the claims are 100% accurate. Does anyone have experience with Equalogic SANs? Will SAN replication and snapshots work as claimed?
OR... Should I start down the DAG route... This might be a better solution, I don't know.
Any help/opinions would be appreciated.
RS
Post #: 1
RE: DAG vs SAN replication - 14.Sep.2011 12:12:03 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Use the DAG wherever you possibly can. It's a lot easier to separate out the Exchange and give it entirely to the Exchange admins to manage the failover.
It's an important app and the VMware, SQL, Network etc. folk will be having a whale of a time getting stuff up and running without having people screaming down their neck demanding email.

If the WAN latency is over 500ms you're going to need to use the array to replicate since 500 is the level at which Microsoft call kinda-sorta-foul on supportability.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to rsblind)
Post #: 2
RE: DAG vs SAN replication - 22.Sep.2011 9:49:43 AM   
rsblind

I'm seeing a billion articles on DAG design and whatnot but I'm currently using SCR for DR... It works great. I'm not sure we want automatic failover from CCR (2007 terms). So, in a scenerio where my data center goes offline can I use the "Active manager" to manually bring DAG copies online and not have it done in an "Automatic" failover situation?

Thanks
R

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: DAG vs SAN replication - 22.Sep.2011 10:42:37 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Do some reading on "DAC Mode". You can absolutely control whether your "DR" copy activates automatically or manually. That was thought of and you can choose to operate in DAC mode or not.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to rsblind)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> DAG vs SAN replication Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter