• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

DNS Forwarder breaks email

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> DNS Forwarder breaks email Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DNS Forwarder breaks email - 25.Jun.2009 4:26:10 PM   
jaxisland

I am trying to setup a domain trust between 2 different domains. The first step is to setup each side with a DNS forwarder to the other domain. When i do this, email stops flowing between the sites. When I remove the forwarders it starts to work again, how can I get email to work while enabling dns forwarders?

Thanks for any help.
Post #: 1
RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email - 25.Jun.2009 4:32:36 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

There are two options:

- ensure that the domain has the correct MX records
- create a seperate send connector which sends mail to a smart host
and fill in the ip address of the mailserver in the other domain.

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to jaxisland)
Post #: 2
RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email - 25.Jun.2009 4:46:20 PM   
jaxisland

Do you have more details on the smart host? The MX records all look correct to me, mail is not a problem from the outside world during the down time between offices.

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 3
RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email - 26.Jun.2009 4:43:02 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

When using a smarthost you will skip the check of the MX record and will directly setup a connection to the mailserver specified as smarthost. So for your situation create a send connector which has the ip-address of the mailserver in the other domain and ensure that this send connector will only be used for that domain.

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to jaxisland)
Post #: 4
RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email - 26.Jun.2009 11:38:47 PM   
Elan Shudnow

quote:

ORIGINAL: jveldh

Hi,

When using a smarthost you will skip the check of the MX record and will directly setup a connection to the mailserver specified as smarthost. So for your situation create a send connector which has the ip-address of the mailserver in the other domain and ensure that this send connector will only be used for that domain.

That's actually most likely not true.  Why most likely not true?  There was a discussion about this on the Microsoft Distribution list I am a part of (for the Exchange 2010 TAP) and it was stated by two MS employees that a smart host which actually still try MX lookup first before it attempts the smart host.  Yes, a lot of us were surprised; including myself. The first guy sounded confident but the second guy said he believed but didn't test it in months.  So take that as you will.  I haven't done a network trace to see for sure so I'm not sure myself.

< Message edited by Elan Shudnow -- 26.Jun.2009 11:44:04 PM >

Elan Shudnow
Exchange MVP
http://www.shudnow.net

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 5
RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email - 27.Jun.2009 3:43:26 PM   
jveldh

Alen,

Yes I also found a previous discussion on this and someone from Microsoft on the Technet forum told me the same as you heard. But as the MX records are correct according to jaxisland it should work when creating a send connector.

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to Elan Shudnow)
Post #: 6
RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email - 29.Jun.2009 9:27:12 AM   
jaxisland

Couple questions, first can someone link some information on configuring the smart host. Second, can I configure this smart host without configuring the DNS forwarders?

Thank you.

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 7
RE: DNS Forwarder breaks email - 29.Jun.2009 11:08:21 AM   
jaxisland

I just setup a SMTP Connector and it breaks all mail from being delivered to that domain from our domain. I delete the connector and the email starts being delivered. Any ideas?

(in reply to jaxisland)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> DNS Forwarder breaks email Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter