• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Domaincontroller

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Management >> Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Domaincontroller Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Domain... - 23.Dec.2013 1:29:41 AM   
ckatterl

Hi all,

we have an Exchange 2010 environment with several domains in our forest. One of these domains have been disconnected and deleted in AD. Unfortunately, some users mailboxes are still on the mailbox-server and i can not disable/remove the mailboxes because it reports an error, that no domaincontroller for this special domain could be found.

Is there a way to force disabling or deleting of this orphaned mailboxes?

Doing a Clean-MailboxDatabase does not help as it's only deleting disabled mailboxes and i cannot disable...

Thanks in advance,
Christian
Post #: 1
RE: Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Do... - 26.Dec.2013 5:36:40 AM   
pjhutch

Normally, you would use the disable-mailbox command let to remove the mailbox
attributes from a user.
If that is not possible or fails, you can manually remove the attributes using
this tool: RemoveExchangeAttributes.exe

See http://www.telnetport25.com/2009/09/forcing-the-removal-of-exchange-attributes-on-a-directory-user-the-removeexchangeattributes-tool%E2%80%A6/

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator
University of Huddersfield

(in reply to ckatterl)
Post #: 2
RE: Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Do... - 31.Dec.2013 1:17:26 AM   
ckatterl

Hi,

thanks for your reply and sorry for my late answer (christmas holidays,...)

Unfortunately, my problem is different.
I still have the mailboxes, whereas i do not have any access to the domain/domaincontroller, where the users sit on (and the according ad-attributes).

Because of this, i cannot change the mail-address, disable mailbox, remove..whatever...

Any ideas?

BR, Christian

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 3
RE: Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Do... - 31.Dec.2013 2:07:29 AM   
andrewdixon

You can run the 'Remove-StoreMailbox' cmdlet against disconnected mailboxes.
For more info about deleting the orphaned mailboxes,use the link below-
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg181092(v=exchg.141).aspx

< Message edited by andrewdixon -- 31.Dec.2013 5:52:18 AM >

(in reply to ckatterl)
Post #: 4
RE: Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Do... - 31.Dec.2013 4:04:55 AM   
ckatterl

Unfortunately, i cannot use the 'Remove-StoreMailbox CmdLet, because I cannot disconnect the mailboxes. The error message says, that the object cannot be found on any domain controller (of course not, because the object is on a domain controller, which is not reachable any more)

(in reply to andrewdixon)
Post #: 5
RE: Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Do... - 31.Dec.2013 12:05:38 PM   
pjhutch

Why not just delete the user accounts in AD Users and Computers? This will also get rid of the mailboxes. You can create new fresh user accounts afterwards and re-add them to appropiate groups.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to ckatterl)
Post #: 6
RE: Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Do... - 1.Jan.2014 10:46:51 PM   
ckatterl

Well, i know, that i would get rid of the mailboxes when i delete the user-accounts in Active Directory. But - as written in one of my older posts - i don't have access to this domaincontrollers/active directory, where this users are from.
This domain has been "removed" without deleting the mailboxes first and without demoting - i.e. cutting the connection (vpn).

Therefore i cannot delete user-accounts nor disable the mailboxes...

Any suggestions?

BR, Christian

(in reply to ckatterl)
Post #: 7
RE: Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Do... - 2.Jan.2014 2:39:07 AM   
pjhutch

Id the domain has been removed, does that include the domain controllers as well? Does -anyone- have access to this domain, can you not ask someone who has access, to do this job for you?

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to ckatterl)
Post #: 8
RE: Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Do... - 2.Jan.2014 2:40:39 AM   
ckatterl

Unfortunately not. I would have done that if possible :)

The vpn-connection has been dropped and domain-controllers wiped out via ntdsutil from forest.
No connection possible....

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 9
RE: Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Do... - 2.Jan.2014 3:17:11 AM   
ckatterl

Thanks for your help!

I found the solution now:

I found out, that the domain controllers where wiped out using ntdsutil, but there where still the naming contexts lof this (orhphaned) domain left.

I wiped out this naming contexts using ntdsutil/partition management in the forest domain and voila, the mailboxes disappeared :)

BR, Christian

(in reply to ckatterl)
Post #: 10
RE: Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Do... - 15.Nov.2014 8:51:07 AM   
clawes

I read your post regarding orphan mailbox due to missing child domain. For your solution, you stated that you used to ntdsutil metadata cleanup to remove the naming context for the missing domain. After that the orphan mailboxes disappeared.

Did they disappear or were they disconnected?

I'm in a similar situation. I can see the offending domain via ntdsutil cleanup.
However, I have not yet remove it yet because I want to understand exactly what will happen to the orphan mailboxes once the naming context is removed. Will they disappear immediately or will they just get disconnected?

Thanks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckatterl

Thanks for your help!

I found the solution now:

I found out, that the domain controllers where wiped out using ntdsutil, but there where still the naming contexts lof this (orhphaned) domain left.

I wiped out this naming contexts using ntdsutil/partition management in the forest domain and voila, the mailboxes disappeared :)

BR, Christian

(in reply to ckatterl)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Management >> Delete Mailbox of User from deleted/disconnected Domaincontroller Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter