• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Dequeue email

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Dequeue email Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dequeue email - 31.Dec.2008 10:38:21 PM   
zaxatron

Hi
I searched the web in every direction but I am not able to pinpoint exactly how to do this.

As you know you can have a secondary mx record pointing to an externally hosted backup mail server so that in case you MS SBS server goes down, email is still collected and stored for your domain.

Once your server is up again I read there is a mechanism call ETRN which sends a signal to the backup mail server to dequeue the email that was accumulated while your server was down.

I read a post by someone where I should create an additional SMTP connector with a schedule ETRN command to an external mail server.

But how is exchange 2003 going to work out which exchange connector to use when sending email? Because the 2 smtp connectors are using the same Exchange BridgeHead server?

Can someone clarify this for me and explain the right way to do it?

Thanks everyone and Happy 2009
Post #: 1
RE: Dequeue email - 1.Jan.2009 1:39:00 AM   
uemurad

It's more typical that the secondary server does one of two things.  Either it continually attempts to forward the messages to the primary (but doesn't complain if it can't communicate with it), or it doesn't attempt to anything automatically with the messages received.  In the first case, when the primary comes back online the messages are forwarded.  In the second case, you have to manually instruct the secondary to forward.

Why you'd choose one over the other depends upon how confident you are of restoring service before messages time out.  That being said, you should be able to control the duration of retry attempts from the secondary server.

It is not as common that the primary requests the queued messages to be delivered.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to zaxatron)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Dequeue email Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter