• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

E-Mail Filters Comparison

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Exchange Server Misc] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> E-Mail Filters Comparison Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
E-Mail Filters Comparison - 2.Jan.2003 9:54:00 PM   
Paul_McKinney

Hello,

I am looking for unbiased comparisons for various e-mail filtering add-on suites for Exchange. Specifically, I would like to see how SurfControl stacks up against GFI MailSecurity and MailMarshall for Exchange.

I have been scouring the web for a week now, and all I can find is endorsements of the various suites on sites that also include advertising of those same suites. "[Confused]"

Any feedback, info or a point in the right direction to find this type of market testing would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Post #: 1
RE: E-Mail Filters Comparison - 20.Jan.2003 9:31:00 PM   
Yes, PLEASE! I'm finding the same problems! I need some content filtering but don't know who to trust!

(in reply to Paul_McKinney)
  Post #: 2
RE: E-Mail Filters Comparison - 21.Jan.2003 9:55:00 AM   
I have not seen surfcontrol email filter. They are relatively new in the email and exchange market. I dont think they have much Exchange integration experience.

I have compared MailSecurity & MailMarshall though. I went for MailSecurity because it offered better Exchange integration, it could be installed on Exchange 2000 via VSAPI AND at the gateway. Besides it supported more virus engines and was cheaper.

Also Mailmarshall was a bit cumbersome to configure. In my evaluation it was between GFI and Trend in the end. Both were good but GFI's content security was better.

Post #: 3
RE: E-Mail Filters Comparison - 26.Feb.2003 6:38:00 AM   
jchromcik

I have looked into Surfcontrol's email filtering software because I currently use their web filtering software with great success....their email filtering software requirements are a bit much. You have to install an exchange client (i.e. outlook) on your exchange server and setup a ScoutProfile account. It will also update your MDAC to version 2.51 no biggie but just another hoop. The only thing I do like about it is you can install it on the actually exchange server (if you have a single server enviroment this is good).

Post #: 4
RE: E-Mail Filters Comparison - 13.Mar.2003 5:49:00 PM   
pygmalian

Here's my experience with Surfcontrol:

I had it installed on the same machine as the web filtering product which we also used. Had issues with messages that had been captured as per our rules showing in the isolate queue with no subject and no date. This obviously made it hard to manage. Decided to move the product to another box so that it could run without interference from any other products. Did clean install on new box with newest version from their site. New install worked well for about 3 weeks, then same problem came back. After speaking with 5 different techs on their support line, they decided that they couldn't fix it, and that'd I'd have to do a "fresh install" even though this product had only been in production for 2 weeks, and not much config had been done, yet the same problem surfaced that did before. They also insisted that it was not a fresh install, but an upgrade, and they could tell by the database and folder structure. I even let their "senior" tech web-ex into the machine to give her a good shot at finding a problem, yet nothing. Mysteriously, 2 nights later, the product started working again... I also have a need to capture and store all inbound and outbound SMTP mail, which surfcontrol does, but it stores each message as a clear text SMTP format file. One file per message. Imagine the headache trying to simply pull that folder up in explorer. Just waiting for the list to display on a folder with 4000 messages in it takes more time than I want to spend, and the program hasn't been running that long.

One thing this product has been good at is giving me a hard time....it's a shame, because it's got some decent features.

Post #: 5
RE: E-Mail Filters Comparison - 13.Mar.2003 5:49:00 PM   
pygmalian

I'm currently evaluating other software to decide what I want to go with next. GFI seems to be the most heavily supported in the forums and websites I've been to. I'm interested in anyone's opinions.

Post #: 6
RE: E-Mail Filters Comparison - 21.Mar.2003 6:33:00 PM   
Exchange Guru

You might want to check out Mail Frontier. I was very impressed with their product. Anti-Spam Gateway. They also have a desktop version. I actually bought a license of the desktop for my box at home.

Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Exchange Server Misc] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> E-Mail Filters Comparison Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter