• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Email Problem

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Email Problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Email Problem - 5.Sep.2002 5:32:00 PM   
bobbyrs

I have 2 Exchange servers in two different buildings connected by a fiber line and a router. One is a Exchange 5.5 Server with an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and the other is a Exchange 2000 Server with an IP address of 192.168.16.2. The Exchange 5.5 server is running on NT Back Office Server. The Exchange 2000 is running on Win2000 Server. I recently installed a T1 line for Internet access and Internet email. I have the Internet access all configured, but I am having a problem with getting my newly registered domain of "domain.com" to work with my Exchange 2000 Server which is on a domain that has the name of "domain.local". The domains are the same names except for one is .local (for my local network) and .com (registered Internet domain).

Before I get into what I have already done with trying to get the Internet email running, I want to tell you that I already have an SMTP connector in Exchange 2000 in place and IMC configured in Exchange 5.5 for the connection of the two Exchange servers. The SMTP connector in Ex2000 has the settings of forwarding all mail to smart host [192.168.1.1], the IP of the Ex5.5 server. The Ex2000 server is selected as the local bridgehead. An Address Space is setup with an SMTP connection of "*" and a cost of "1". The "Allow messages to be relayed to these domains" is checked. Now, everything works fine with the connections between both ExServers in regards to relaying Internal email. Internet Email is where I am having the problem.

I have already had setup the proper MX records by my ISP, created a "@domain.com" to my Recipient Policy and made it the primary address, added the external DNS IP addresses of my ISP in the delivery settings of the Virtual Server, as well as made sure that "The Ex. Org. is responsible for all mail delivery to this address" is selected. The problem is within the SMTP connector I created for the Internet email. I created another SMTP connector for the Internet Email, made sure "Use DNS to route...." is selected, and added the Ex2000 Server as the local bridgehead. The problem seems to be with the Address Space. I entered an email domain of "domain.com" with a cost of "1". As well as made sure that "allow messages to be relayed to these domains" are selected.

Does all that sound correct? With all these setting active, I now get everything caught it ques. Nothing gets delivered, in or out. Now I can get Internet email to work correctly if I change the Address Space cost of the local SMTP connector to something higher then the cost of the Address space of the Internet connector. But when I do that, the Internal email gets caught in the Internet SMTP connector and doesn't get delivered. So, right now, it seems to be one or the other. What am I forgetting to do to get both of these connectors configured properly, so that I can get Internal and External email to work correctly?
Post #: 1
RE: Email Problem - 10.Sep.2002 9:15:00 PM   
DaDougInc

NEVER have your local domain listed in an Address Space of a connector (except for EXTREME cricumstances). Remove your SMTP Connector with the Domain.com address space.

If both servers are in the SAME Exchange Site or Admin group, remove the SMTP connector on E2K and let Exchange 5.5 send the Internet Mail until you are ready to depart from 5.5. Once that happens, create a new SMTP connector with * only and remove the IMS on 5.5.

(in reply to bobbyrs)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Email Problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote