• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Empty reply to on incoming messages

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Empty reply to on incoming messages Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Empty reply to on incoming messages - 14.Sep.2007 4:33:26 PM   
crosstec

We have a newly set up SBS 2003 server running Exchange Server 2003 receiving email for three different web sites that we operate.  The email arrives fine from any address and we can send email fine to any address, but when our web server (website #'s 1 & 2) sends us an email (when a customer places an order) the reply-to address is blank.  The customer's address (should be the reply-to) is in the header of the email, but just not in the "From" box in Outlook when you click to reply to the email.  You have to copy and paste it from the body of the email in order to reply.

Additionally, when we receive emails from the same web server being sent to a different address (orders from website #3), the From address is replaced with the mailbox user's name, whether the reply to address is listed in Exchange Server as being a valid email address for that user or not.

These emails are all being sent by our web server which is using PostCast Server Professional version 3.0.61 to send the emails.  This system worked fine with our old server, running Exchange Server 5.5, but has this flaw with our new server so I know it's not a problem with PostCast Server.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before?  Got any ideas what might be causing it?  Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Allen Vaughn
CrossTec.com
Post #: 1
RE: Empty reply to on incoming messages - 14.Sep.2007 6:16:37 PM   
uemurad

Exchange doesn't have any provision to strip the sending address.

My opinion is that it has to be the sending side that either isn't including it, or is improperly formatting the message so that Exchange can't interpret that part properly.

Another possibility (but less likely) is that something else processing the messages that is stripping the address.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to crosstec)
Post #: 2
RE: Empty reply to on incoming messages - 14.Sep.2007 7:21:32 PM   
crosstec

Here's the header that was included with the last email we got:

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
Received: from mail.ourserver.com ([99.99.99.99]) by mydomain.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:19:18 -0500
To: sales@ourwebsite.com
Subject: New Web Order
X-Mailer: West Wind SMTP 4.0
Importance: Normal
Mime-Version: 1.0
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:19:10 -0400
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Return-Path: somebody@somewhere.com
Message-ID: <SERVERq5pneeFUtLch90000005e@mydomain.com>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 14 Sep 2007 22:19:18.0156 (UTC) FILETIME=[4AA184C0:01C7F71D]

Maybe something is missing that PostCast is now not sending?  Do you see any reason why the From box would be blank when clicking 'Reply' on this message?

Thanks for your help

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Empty reply to on incoming messages Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter