• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Ex2k3 to ex2k3 with front/back end servers

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Ex2k3 to ex2k3 with front/back end servers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ex2k3 to ex2k3 with front/back end servers - 10.Jan.2011 12:30:02 PM   
xtremeskier

I am working on a swing migration from our old exchange 2003 server to a new exchange 2003 server. Our current setup is 1 front end server connected to our DMZ and a back end server with all the users mailboxes. All servers are running Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003.

I have installed Exchange 2003 on the new server and installed all exchange updates. I then created a test mailbox on the old server and moved it to the new server using the move mailbox tool within ESM. Everything went smoothly with no errors.

The issue I have now is when I send email internally to the new mailbox I receive a bounce back with the following error... " The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason." The error is being sent from the new exchange server so it must be communicating somewhat.

I can however send mail from the new mailbox to both internal and external address with no issues.

I have read from multiple sites that if you have a front end server you should be able to have 2 back end servers and the front end will route the message to the correct server containing the mailbox. Am I missing something?

I have read about bridgehead's, but I'm not sure if they apply in this scenario and if they do which server(s) should be configured as bridgeheads and where? Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. If I have left out any information please let me know.

Thanks,
Post #: 1
RE: Ex2k3 to ex2k3 with front/back end servers - 29.Mar.2011 3:17:40 PM   
uemurad

First, let's talk about the inter-server issue:

Are the two BE servers in the same Routing Group?
You can test inter-server connectivity using Telnet. Log onto the old server and follow this procedure to create/send a message to a mailbox on the new server. Pay attention to the response codes you get for each step. Report your findings if you don't know what they mean.

quote:

I have read from multiple sites that if you have a front end server you should be able to have 2 back end servers and the front end will route the message to the correct server containing the mailbox. Am I missing something?
Yes you can have multiple BE servers behind a FE server.

quote:

I have read about bridgehead's, but I'm not sure if they apply in this scenario and if they do which server(s) should be configured as bridgeheads and where?
It may, depending upon how you answered the question about Routing Groups.

< Message edited by uemurad -- 29.Mar.2011 3:23:04 PM >

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to xtremeskier)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Ex2k3 to ex2k3 with front/back end servers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter