• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Excgange 5.5 Migration or "Clean" Install 2003

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Excgange 5.5 Migration or "Clean" Install 2003 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Excgange 5.5 Migration or "Clean" Install 2003 - 15.Nov.2006 4:54:33 PM   
wolfguru

I am moving from a 5.5 exchange installation, which is running on a 2000 server in PDC emulation mode with a trust to our 2003 Active Directory domain. I currently have the 5.5 running with accounts that are users from the 2003 domain via the trust, as the ADC seemed to cause a number of problems with creating duplicate accounts, etc.

Am I better off to build the 2003 server as part of the 5.5's site, even though it will be native to a different domain, and move mailboxes to the 2003 server, or would it be preferrable to build a "clean" 2003 installation, and use the exmerge utility to export all the email from the 5.5 server to import into the 2003 server?

Users will be identical, the distribution lists are primarily AD groups to begin with, and the other few custom recipients and specialized mailboxes would not be to much of a difficulty to recreate. (Most are used for mail forwarding to external devices, etc. as an alternate recipient, to cut the time required for the "polling" of accounts by external devices, or the typical complaint that "if I have gotten the message on my blackberry/smartphone, it shows as read when I get back to the office so I forget I need to deal with it.")

I'm running only about 150 mailboxes for users, and another 40 as distribution lists, and maybe 30 hidden recipients (custom recipients for "sam-blackberry" or  email notification accounts like "ftp1_server") so the entire clean setup is little more than a few hours work to recreate.

I'm looking for suggestions and pros & cons of the two approaches, hoping to end up with a single 2003 server (enterprise) fully integrated with the AD and removing the 5.5 server when the move is complete.

Mike Martell - Systems Manager, The Dingley Press
Post #: 1
RE: Excgange 5.5 Migration or "Clean" Install... - 17.Nov.2006 7:50:22 AM   
pjhutch

Advantages of using ADC from 5.5 to 2003:
1. Exchange Organisation already set up.
2. Creates mail enabled accounts on new AD domain, useful if you do not already have accounts on AD and not in use.
3. Users on 5.5 and 2003 can see and mail each  other while migration is taking place in the GAL.
4. Used when there is a large number of users and migration will be over time rather than a 'big bang' approach.
5. Public folders will be easier to migrate across using Replication with the ADC.

Advantages of clean install:
1. Can use different organisation and admin/routing group names.
2. Can use existing AD accounts, just mailbox enable them and import the mail.
3. Will not migrate any old or useless configuration from an old 5.5 setup.
4. Easy to do if you are doing a big bang approach with few users.
5. Can be set up as a native exchange organisation not a mixed mode setup.

Disadvantages of clean install:
1. Takes longer, need to setup Exchange from scratch and setup internet connectivity, reciepient and server policies from scratch.
2. Might take longer to export and import mail from mailboxes.
3. Difficult to migrate public folder content.
4. May need to setup some sort of connectivity to old 5.5 server so mail can flow between servers and the internet.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to wolfguru)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Excgange 5.5 Migration or "Clean" Install 2003 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter