• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exch2007 - Cant remove old server info!! HELP URGENT

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Exch2007 - Cant remove old server info!! HELP URGENT Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exch2007 - Cant remove old server info!! HELP URGENT - 29.Aug.2013 3:24:04 AM   
BoroRob

Hi,

Two days ago we had an Exchange server die. board failure. They have 3 servers, data, ecxh and sql. Exch and Data were both setup as AD controllers.

I am trying to set Exchange up on the DATA server but when I install it everyone is still there that was on the old server and I cannot move them to the new database as the old server is off.

I have used adsi edit and removed the whole exchange branch but they are still there??

How do I remove all the info from Exchange so I can re-add the users from AD ??

Help needed asap email has been down for 2 days.
Post #: 1
RE: Exch2007 - Cant remove old server info!! HELP URGENT - 29.Aug.2013 8:00:58 AM   
de.blackman

quote:

I have used adsi edit and removed the whole exchange branch but they are still there??

What exactly do you mean by this?? I am hoping you did NOT delete the entire Exchange organization. The type of answers you will get will depend on the answer you provide for this question.

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to BoroRob)
Post #: 2
RE: Exch2007 - Cant remove old server info!! HELP URGENT - 29.Aug.2013 10:03:44 AM   
BoroRob

Yes I did, As I'm just wanting to recreate the users into the new Exchange install from AD.

But even after deleting the whole exchange branch and reinstalling. all the old exchange users are still in EMC pointing to the old server..

And I cant create New Mailbox > Existing user, because they are already there!!

Both servers were domain controllers but the Exch server is now gone for good.

You should be able to get rid of Exchange and start from scratch... Re-add people from AD. No ? You would think so..

I mean, even if I was to put a new server in to install Exchange, how could I reset people up if they are already showing? There must be a way off removing them from the EMC console and starting again..

Rob

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3
RE: Exch2007 - Cant remove old server info!! HELP URGENT - 29.Aug.2013 12:04:26 PM   
de.blackman

quote:

You should be able to get rid of Exchange and start from scratch... Re-add people from AD. No ? You would think so..

Actually no unfortunately, its not that simple. Exchange ties into AD and all your users have mailboxes pointing to an invalid server. Deleing the entire organization was not the best course of action and I strongly recommend that if you are unsure, this forum is here to assist.

In such a situation, what you could do is something called a "disaster recovery" of exchange. You would have installed a new server with the same name as the crashed server and installed Exchange using a special switch called /RecoverServer and everything would be back. You would then simply restore your databases from backup and that would've been it.

The situation you are in requires quite a bit of work to get your environment back up and running. As I understand it, you have already reinstalled Exchange - Good!

First step you need to do is DISABLE the mailboxes. If you right click any mailbox in EMC, can you successfully disable it? Do NOT delete because that will delete the user account in AD. If you can try it for few mailboxes and see if you can recreate new mailboxes for them.

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to BoroRob)
Post #: 4
RE: Exch2007 - Cant remove old server info!! HELP URGENT - 30.Aug.2013 1:25:51 AM   
BoroRob

They had 3 servers which they didn't need so we set Exchange up on there "DATA" server. Which obviously has a different name.

I created a new user which pointed to the new database and copied the HomeMDB, HomeMTA, and MsEcxhHomeServerName entries from that user into all the old users in ADSIEDIT and now everyone is pointing to the new database and the mailboxes are working fine.

Rob.

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 5
RE: Exch2007 - Cant remove old server info!! HELP URGENT - 3.Oct.2013 9:28:27 PM   
jbatista

Guy,

I am agree with De.Blackman, you corrected a serious risk of damage AD and Exchange Organization.

If you access to old Db files. you could do "Database Portability" process and after use command "move-mailbox" with parameter "-configurationonly" and "-targetdatabase".

If you use only command "move-mailbox" with parameters without "database portability". The users obtain access to mailbox, but mailbox will be empty.

Jorge Batista

(in reply to BoroRob)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Exch2007 - Cant remove old server info!! HELP URGENT Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter