• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is only one domain

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is only one domain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is only ... - 10.Jan.2008 1:51:57 PM   
excelsis

I have a bit of a weird migration I would say. I can't find much help online with my specific issue. So, I'll explain.

Main objective: to get all the servers (Exchange and BES) on 1 domain!

Here at my company we have about 30 users. Our main server is company.com. We also have our Exchange Server and a Blackberry Enterprise Server on it's own domain which is company.local. Our main server and BB server used to be both SBS, so i think that is why it is configured like this. We no longer have any SBS and this is a full Windows Server 2003 company.
What we do have is 2 different sets of active directories. Every person has 2 login and passwords. 1 to log on to the network and 1 for there e-mail. Nightmare, yes! Especially for those who can't remember 1 password.
What I think would be easiest is to just rename the 2 .local domain and add them to the .com domain. Then I can go around to peoples workstations and reconfigure everyones Outlook. Which I am willing to do. However, I don't think I can do that because the 2 AD's would clash and I don't think the domain would like that very much.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation for me?

Let me know if you have any questions in case I wasn't clean enough!

Steve
Post #: 1
RE: Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is o... - 10.Jan.2008 2:10:24 PM   
5paack

With only 30 users it might be simpler to install Exchange server on the new Domain then using ExMerge move the mailboxes then have the users logon to the new domain only, then reinstall the BES on the new Doamin and add the users to it linking to the new Exchange server.
This is I think the easiest thing to do, I would however think that the local profiles being lost because of the move between the two Domains is the larger issue.

Good luck

(in reply to excelsis)
Post #: 2
RE: Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is o... - 11.Jan.2008 8:38:27 AM   
excelsis

Does anyone else have an opinion they can share?

(in reply to 5paack)
Post #: 3
RE: Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is o... - 15.Jan.2008 10:19:33 AM   
kapax

In my opinion setting up Blackberry is a complete nightmare, and your best advice is to get all the information you can lay your hands on from the Blackberry websites at both
http://www.rim.com
(Research In Motion)
and http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/

Blackberry is a very fussy bit of kit to set up on a server and to have all the manuals and advice you can get is a total must !

If it works - I would say leave it as it is and let your users get used to it !
just make the pwds the same

< Message edited by kapax -- 15.Jan.2008 10:21:09 AM >

(in reply to excelsis)
Post #: 4
RE: Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is o... - 18.Jan.2008 4:52:55 PM   
bsakata

You have a couple options. 

1.  Keep things as it is.  Build a Forest to Forest Trust from company.com to company.local.  Disable the mail accounts on comapny.local and associated the company.com account with the company.local account.  This will allow user to log in authenticate and only use their comapny.com account for both logging into their computers and exchange.

2.  Install a new exchange server in company.com and migrate mailboxes from company.local.  You will also need to isntall a bes server as well.  This is a cleaner solution and the end result will be less complicated to manage.  You can migrate mailboxes using exmerge.

(in reply to kapax)
Post #: 5
RE: Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is o... - 21.Jan.2008 12:40:01 PM   
excelsis

1. What do you mean associate accounts?

(in reply to bsakata)
Post #: 6
RE: Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is o... - 21.Jan.2008 2:23:33 PM   
bsakata

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Understanding-External-Associated-Account-Windows-Server-2003-Exchange-2003.html

(in reply to excelsis)
Post #: 7
RE: Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is o... - 22.Jan.2008 11:28:03 AM   
excelsis

Sweet, thanks.

I think I'm gonna go with option 2. We're only 30 people so it shouldn't be so bad.

(in reply to bsakata)
Post #: 8
RE: Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is o... - 30.Jan.2008 11:35:08 AM   
excelsis

< Message edited by excelsis -- 6.Feb.2008 10:11:29 AM >

(in reply to excelsis)
Post #: 9
RE: Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is o... - 6.Feb.2008 10:11:51 AM   
excelsis

2.  Install a new exchange server in company.com and migrate mailboxes from company.local.  You will also need to isntall a bes server as well.  This is a cleaner solution and the end result will be less complicated to manage.  You can migrate mailboxes using exmerge.

I just want to clarify. Once i install the new server it will be exchange.company.com. I want to replicate all the user accounts from prod.company.com to exchange.company.com. From here I want to associate the mailboxes from the old exchange.company.local domain accounts to the new exchange domain accounts because everyone had 2 user accounts previously.

Can exmerge or the migration wizard do this? or do I have to go workstation to workstation and save to PST and upload to the new account?

This following article makes it seem like it is possible, but im not sure if it is trying to say i have to migrate the user accounts and mailbox that were on the .local domain. Instead of replicating the accounts on the prod.company.com to exchange.company.com.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Understanding-External-Associated-Account-Windows-Server-2003-Exchange-2003.html

Any ideas?

< Message edited by excelsis -- 6.Feb.2008 10:14:44 AM >

(in reply to excelsis)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exch 2003 Migration - removing .local so there is only one domain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter