• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs - 23.Oct.2002 6:36:00 PM   
kaoboda

Okay, I've done a search and read the previous posts on this topic, tried some of the suggestions, etc, but I'm still stuck with a directory full of logs.

My server does have Norton Corporate Anti-Virus software on it and it was scanning the Exchange folders... but I removed yesterday. I'm going to be purchasing the Exchange agent in the future.

Still, I have 40GB of logs, dating back about 7 or so days. I have it set to only keep logs for 2 days. I've ran NT Backup and BackupExec pro with the flush logs setting and they are still there.

Is there anything else I can do?

[ October 23, 2002, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Jason Svoboda ]
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs - 23.Oct.2002 6:58:00 PM   
pvong

I have Backup Exec and it works well with the log files. It flushes all log files older than one day every night during the backup. Are you backing up every night or every 7 days?

(in reply to kaoboda)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs - 23.Oct.2002 6:59:00 PM   
kaoboda

Every night... which is why I'm concerned. I'm running one right now as well to see what the problem is.

(in reply to kaoboda)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs - 23.Oct.2002 9:31:00 PM   
kaoboda

Ran the backup again today and it completed sucessfully according to Veritas Backup Exec, set with the option of Normal backup, reset archive bit, flush logs and still, all logs are there.

Anyone else?

(in reply to kaoboda)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs - 23.Oct.2002 10:13:00 PM   
koggen

Just to make sure, exactly what are you trying to backup? Remember, taking a full backup of the *files* won't flush the Exchange log files! You must take a backup of the Information Store. Only then will Exchange flush the old logs. Try to use the ntbackup utility instead. Make sure that the appropriate Information Store is selected and run a full backup. Are the log files then still there?

// Johan

(in reply to kaoboda)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs - 23.Oct.2002 11:03:00 PM   
kaoboda

I'm backing up the Information Store. We've got the Exchange Agent for Backup Exec. I've also used the NTBackup utility and the same thing, the logs remain.

(in reply to kaoboda)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs - 23.Oct.2002 11:29:00 PM   
koggen

Okay, just checking. Frankly, I don't know what other options to check. Backup works fine for me (with the ntbackup utility - never managed to get backup exec working), including the purging of log files. You say that you previously had some NAV scan scheduled (I'm assuming it's now disabled). I would suggest also disabling the real time file protection (which still might be in place). I don't know if this could cause any similar problems like the problems caused by scans, but RTFP does scan all files when accessed so it still might cause problems for the system.

If you have a backup of the logfiles you can safely delete the log files in order to get some more free space on your drive.

// Johan

(in reply to kaoboda)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs - 24.Oct.2002 12:40:00 AM   
kaoboda

Well, thanks for your attempted solutions and ideas. I'm really just floored at what it can be to be honest.

My backup exec does work, after I figured out the secret of getting it to work, and I've even restored mailboxes from my backups too. It works well, aside for the log file issue.

(in reply to kaoboda)
Post #: 8
RE: Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs - 24.Oct.2002 3:09:00 AM   
kaoboda

Just to add something, I just found out that my checkpoint file, e00.chk, was corrupt. I renamed it to e00.old and restarted Exchange Information Store and a new one was created.

It can now read this file and it also shows my fullbackup and checkpoint log as being the most current. Hopefully when Backup Exec runs tonight, the problem will be solved.

I'll keep everyone posted.

(in reply to kaoboda)
Post #: 9
RE: Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs - 24.Oct.2002 3:27:00 AM   
kaoboda

Success!

It indeed was just that corrupt checkpoint file that was hindering the flushing of the mdbdata logs. Man, what a nightmare to figure out.

Great results though... my mdbdata folder went from over 40GB to 4GB. Thanks again for your comments and suggestions pvong and Johan, appreciate it!

(in reply to kaoboda)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Exchange 2000 - MDBDATA Logs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter