• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2000 Performance Issue

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Exchange 2000 Performance Issue Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2000 Performance Issue - 16.Jan.2003 7:19:00 AM   
Hey all,

I have recently installed Exchange 2000 Enterprise edition on a PDC running Win2k SP3 and am having an unusual problem with the servers performance. Exchange is to serve only internal mail at this point. All clients are running Outlook 2002 (not all have the latest service pack) and when Outlook is started it takes an extremely long time for the client to start. The clients receive the "Requesting Information from your Exchange Server" status message, sometimes multiple times, when Outlook is started. Mail does seem to work ok when Outlook has finally started - a bit slow but nothing major. If the Send/Receive button is clicked in Outlook, it takes quite awhile for the process to complete. This is a new install of Exchange and there are currently fewer than 10 users. The server is a 1.8GHz Celeron with 1GB of RAM and 3 40GB EIDE drives. I have installed SP3 for Exchange, and nothing looks obviously wrong (though I'm no Exchange expert by any means). Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this? I've been scavenging message boards and technet and haven't been able to determine what's causing it - I'm about out of ideas so if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate hearing them. Thanks...
  Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2000 Performance Issue - 16.Jan.2003 3:27:00 PM   
pvong

i just had the same problem and it took me forever to figure out what was wrong. i'm not saying this is your problem, but this is how i fixed mine.

for what ever reason, my clients were trying to talk to the e2k from outside the firewall. try to ping the server and see if you are getting an outside ip or an inside ip. instead of getting 192.168.1.2, i was getting our outside IP.

to solve the problem, i just did the
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
on each client pc and made sure when i ping the e2k, it's giving the inside IP of 192.168.1.2.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2000 Performance Issue - 17.Jan.2003 7:24:00 AM   
Thanks for the reply pvong. Although the problem was not exactly what you had delt with, it does appear that the problem resides in DNS and I have gotten around it for the time being using the hosts file - looks like I may have some DNS issues to straighten out. Your help saved me some sanity -- thanks again, I really appreciate it. [Smile]

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2000 Performance Issue - 17.Jan.2003 4:17:00 PM   
pvong

just curious, what did you do to the host file to fix your problem?

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2000 Performance Issue - 18.Jan.2003 7:52:00 PM   
All I did was create an entry for the server in the hosts file on each workstation and pointed it to the servers private address (the server does not have a public interface at this point, and is not being used by the workstations as a DNS server). Worked like a charm. Now I just need to figure out what's going on with DNS, but that's a whole other issue..

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2000 Performance Issue - 18.Jan.2003 11:04:00 PM   
I had a similar problem to this our clients where 95/98, I fixed it by adding the DNS server in the client DNS tab of Network neighborhood, and in the host name type your machine name and in the domain name add the full domain name IE test.com

This was even though we had DHCP with WINS and DNS, and Gateways in it.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2000 Performance Issue - 20.Jan.2003 10:43:00 AM   
cvermander

You might also want to check on your DHCP server, I have had the problem that DNS and DHCP sometimes don't like running on the same server when it is running other services.

If you are running a DHCP server.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange 2000 Performance Issue - 20.Jan.2003 10:44:00 AM   
cvermander

...and make sure the DHCP server is assigning the correct information to clients.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 8
RE: Exchange 2000 Performance Issue - 20.Jan.2003 6:08:00 PM   
pvong

cvermander, i'm running a dhcp server and a dns server out of the same box. until i can get approval for more $$ for another server, are you guys saying that if i manually put in the dns server ip on each of the client workstation, i will no longer have this problem?

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 9
RE: Exchange 2000 Performance Issue - 20.Jan.2003 8:05:00 PM   
cvermander

when you config you DHCP on w2k you need to tell it what DNS server to give to your clients, make sure that is the address of your local DNS server. To check what DNS server your clients are getting go to a client machine and in the command prompt type "ipconfig /all" that will give you a listing of all the information.

Your local DNS server needs to be looking to a DNS server too (same place you config static ip address), most likely the DNS servers that your ISP assigns (there should be 2 of them).

If you use a router it may have the ability to be a DHCP server it may be an option too.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Exchange 2000 Performance Issue Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter