• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2003 installation in different domain

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange 2003 installation in different domain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2003 installation in different domain - 9.May2010 7:55:50 AM   
giken

Hello,

I am running windows 2003 forest with one exchange 2003ENT
recently my company take a ownership of another company and want to host part of IT environment in main office.They have windows 2003 forest have separate exchange 2003 at remote site.
I will be mananging complete environment remote and in main office.
I want to migrate new company in my main office forest environment but they want separate exchange at remote location.
my setup is
Forest main office.
Domain A main office.
Domain B (new company domain in existing main office forest).
I am bit confused how to setup a exchange server.

Please advise me for best solution.

thanks
giken
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2003 installation in different domain - 9.May2010 9:54:29 AM   
uemurad

What steps have you taken so far to install a Domain Controller at the new site that is joined to your forest?  Once you have that DC established, you install an Exchange server that is part of your forest, which makes it part of your Exchange Organization.  Then you need to migrate the users and mailboxes from the old domain to the one in your forest.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to giken)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2003 installation in different domain - 9.May2010 11:38:42 AM   
giken

I have already install domain into my forest as new domain but question is how would i install exchange into new domain because as far as i know only one exchange is per forest.
what step should i take install separate exchange in domain B.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2003 installation in different domain - 9.May2010 12:55:49 PM   
uemurad

If you've gotten a DC in the new location that is part of your existing forest, you've done the hard part (because that also involves networking).  Now, you just need to create a Windows server at the new location, join it to your existing forest, and install Exchange on it.  If this is a new domain in your existing forest, you'll need to run DomainPrep, but otherwise a new Exchange server looks first for an existing Exchange Organization (which is associated with the forest to which the server belongs).

While you could install Exchange on the DC you just created, best practice is to install it on a separate member server.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to giken)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2003 installation in different domain - 9.May2010 1:33:31 PM   
giken

My plan was install two domain (domain B) and one member server for exchange.

one domain is in remote location and one is in main for less replication for the forest.
On member server i should run domainprep and install exchange 2003.
does it install in separate Organization ?
anything change in main office exchange ?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2003 installation in different domain - 9.May2010 2:43:41 PM   
uemurad

quote:

My plan was install two domain (domain B) and one member server for exchange.
That is perfect!
quote:

On member server i should run domainprep and install exchange 2003.
Domainprep and forestprep add the Exchange attributes to the domain and forest respectively.  The forest should only need to be done once, but it doesn't hurt anything to run it again.  Same with domainprep - only needs to be done once in each domain, but doesn't hurt anything to do it again.
quote:

does it install in separate Organization ?
Since only one Exchange Organization can exist in a forest, then additional Exchange servers can only end up in the same Organization.  That's why you install Windows, then join it to the domain, then install Exchange.
quote:

anything change in main office exchange ?
Not sure what you have in mind here.  With multiple Exchange servers you'll need to consider Routing Groups and Administrative Groups, but what else are you thinking?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to giken)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2003 installation in different domain - 9.May2010 3:33:00 PM   
giken

quote:

On member server i should run domainprep and install exchange 2003Domainprep and forestprep add the Exchange attributes to the domain and forest respectively. The forest should only need to be done once, but it doesn't hurt anything to run it again. Same with domainprep - only needs to be done once in each domain, but doesn't hurt anything to do it again.

i am already running exchange in forest. i guess only thing i need to run is domain prep.
quote:

Since only one Exchange Organization can exist in a forest, then additional Exchange servers can only end up in the same Organization. That's why you install Windows, then join it to the domain, then install Exchange.

The main reason to install additional exchange to separate both company exchange server.
quote:

Not sure what you have in mind here. With multiple Exchange servers you'll need to consider Routing Groups and Administrative Groups, but what else are you thinking?

The policies and update service. is it good idea to install additional exchange server . If it is installed in same Organization.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange 2003 installation in different domain - 9.May2010 3:57:28 PM   
uemurad

quote:

i am already running exchange in forest. i guess only thing i need to run is domain prep.
It doesn't hurt if you run them again.

quote:

The policies and update service. is it good idea to install additional exchange server . If it is installed in same Organization.
You're thinking ahead - that's good.

If you're planning on keeping the old SMTP domain name for the newly acquired company, you'll need to add or change your Recipient Policy to make Exchange authoritative.  At some point you will want to change the MX record for the old SMTP domain name so that inbound mail goes to your Exchange Organization.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to giken)
Post #: 8
RE: Exchange 2003 installation in different domain - 9.May2010 5:25:28 PM   
giken

quote:

If you're planning on keeping the old SMTP domain name for the newly acquired company, you'll need to add or change your Recipient Policy to make Exchange authoritative. At some point you will want to change the MX record for the old SMTP domain name so that inbound mail goes to your Exchange Organization.

I am keeping old SMTP domain name.
Which option is the best
1: install second exchange server in main office location,then migrate mailbox into new installed exchanged and users in Domain B ?
2: configure existing exchange server in main office domain A update service and domain name and policies,then migrate users into Domain B and mailbox into Domain A ?
Is there any advantage to install extra exchange server?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 9
RE: Exchange 2003 installation in different domain - 10.May2010 9:13:43 AM   
uemurad

The main advantage of having an Exchange server in the new office is that the data will be local to the users. Latency between client (Outlook) and server (Exchange) is minimized.

If there are other considerations, such as an archival system that requires Exchange to be local to some other server, that may take priority for you and your company.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to giken)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange 2003 installation in different domain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter