• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 Standard to Windows SBS 2011 to Exchange 2010

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 Standard to Windows SBS 2011 to Exchange 2010 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 Standard to Windows SBS 2... - 27.Aug.2011 1:00:44 PM   
cer113

Hi

Very soon company that i work for will migrate Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003 Standard SP2 to Windows SBS 2011. I would like to ask some professionals here are there any steps how to proceed.

I did full installation of Exchange Server 2010 and before I could do that I had to run setup tools like setup.com/PrepareSchema PrepareAdD PrepareDomain.

But Exchange 2010 with SP1 already comes preinstalled on SBS 2011 so I am not sure whether I still need to prepare domain with setup switches. SOme say we need to create answer file.

Are there any steps how to migrate this properly. I found steps for migrating to Exchange 2010 on Windows 2008 Enterprise edition but seems that migration to SBS 2011 is slightly different because Exchange 2010 is already installed on the server.

WIndowsw 2003 already of course setup and I would assume I dont need to prepare things with setup switches but create answer file to transfer it to new server.

But to stop guessing I would like to get opinion of the people that already did this. As I said Windows 2003 server is standard edition ( not SBS) but we will migrate to SBS 2011 from WIndows 2003 standard.

Any idea how to perform this operation

Thanks in advance
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 Standard to Windows S... - 27.Aug.2011 2:40:34 PM   
Gulab

It's simple migration scenario.
As you said now Exchange 2010 SP1 comes preinstalled. But you need to keep in mind that even if you have exchange preinstalled still have to extend the schema.

Change the Exchange Mixed mode to Native Mode and Raise the Domain Functional Level.
Run Setup.com /ps
Run Setup.com /pl
Setup.com /preparead
Run Setup.com /preparedomain

Once it's done proceed with configuration.

Cheers,

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to cer113)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 Standard to Windows SBS 2011 to Exchange 2010 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter