• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2007 SMTP connector does not send emails to the internet

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Exchange 2007 SMTP connector does not send emails to the internet Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2007 SMTP connector does not send emails to th... - 21.Apr.2010 7:34:09 PM   
alan2938

I installed a new Exchange 2007 server into my Exchange 2003 environment with the hub transport and client access roles. I want this 07 machine to be responsible for sending all outgoing email from my organization.

Right after installation of the 07 server, email connectivity is still working, however the email is all going out my old 03 server. In the EMC -> Organization Configuration -> Hub Transport I gave the existing SMTP Connector a cost of 2, and then created a new SMTP connector, to connect to the Internet, with a cost of 1, using DNS (MX) to for outgoing.

Now, any email I send out gets stuck in the outgoing queue on my new 07 server with the error:

451 4.4.0 Primary target IP address responded with: "421 4.2.1 Unable to connect." Attempted to failover to alternate host, but that did not succeed. Either there are no alternate hosts, or delivery failed to all alternate hosts.

As soon as I remove the new SMTP connector the emails all get sent immediately through the old one back through my 03 server.

Any advice is appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2007 SMTP connector does not send emails t... - 22.Apr.2010 1:59:10 PM   
John Weber

421 4.2.1 errors are generally something along the lines of the far end doesn't like your IP or your domain name for some undefined reason.

Is this ALL smtp domains that do this? or just some?

John Weber [Lync MVP] http://tsoorad.blogspot.com

(in reply to alan2938)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2007 SMTP connector does not send emails t... - 22.Apr.2010 2:09:18 PM   
alan2938

I did some troubleshooting and discovered that a simple telnet to any remote smtp server did not work. Switching the network interface configuration from static IP to DHCP solved the problem, but that still doesn't tell me what the problem is. Obviously, I cannot have a mail server using DHCP.

(in reply to John Weber)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2007 SMTP connector does not send emails t... - 22.Apr.2010 2:19:09 PM   
John Weber

What was the difference between the static IP and the dhcp delivered IP?

Did you have something spelled wrong on your initial static IP?

(in reply to alan2938)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2007 SMTP connector does not send emails t... - 22.Apr.2010 4:46:35 PM   
alan2938

I switched the Exchange server back to static IP using the exact settings that were given through DHCP... and upon reboot, the default gateway is blank. I add it in, the machine reboots again, and it doesn't make a difference. So for whatever reason, unless my server is configured for DHCP, it has no idea what my default gateway is.

(in reply to John Weber)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2007 SMTP connector does not send emails t... - 22.Apr.2010 4:49:50 PM   
John Weber

If you cannot fix the networking issue you have there, you would probably be better served with new hardware.

Segue to VM commercial...

(in reply to alan2938)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2007 SMTP connector does not send emails t... - 22.Apr.2010 5:00:44 PM   
alan2938

This is actually a virtual server already. I have a very nice and stable VSphere environment.

(in reply to John Weber)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange 2007 SMTP connector does not send emails t... - 22.Apr.2010 5:20:35 PM   
John Weber

Well, you gottem something sideways on the server if you can't get it to keep a static address correctly.

Bummer. OTOH, an interesting troubleshooting exercise.

(in reply to alan2938)
Post #: 8
RE: Exchange 2007 SMTP connector does not send emails t... - 11.May2010 6:53:13 AM   
bpara

Hi,
Delete smtp connector in 03 server and delete mx record in dns of local dc.

-bpara

(in reply to alan2938)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Exchange 2007 SMTP connector does not send emails to the internet Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter